NC bear hunting

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by wl704, Jan 9, 2017.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    NC resident, long time hunter and bow hunter, but have never bear hunted before. I'm thinking I'd like to learn and give it a try.

A long shot but thought I'd ask, any other NC bowhunters either able to show me the ropes or up for a joint learning adventure this fall?

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All Bear hunting around here is by dog. I'm sure you could set up and hunt from a stand with some success. Do you have quite a few Bear down your way?

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Matt- the state bear management plan has no (to as few as possible) bears south of the I85 arc (where I am) so generally they're down toward the coast or up your way. None around Charlotte other than one taken in Montgomergy county a few years ago.

I was thinking spot n stalk or stand hunt with the bow maybe combined with a backpack hunt if I was headed toward the mtns.

I know the coastal forests are quite dense so archery would be extra challenging.

I'm not opposed to learning on a dog/gun hunt...

4. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could see what I could come up with. I retired my Bear days, but it would be a great elk hunt warm up for the miles in the mountains you can cover.

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did the elk hunt last year with Will great fun and time and $ will hopefully continue. But I've lived in NC for 20+ years and don't want to regret not giving it a go.

Thanks by the way.

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I know you did. That's what I meant that you should be good, in shape wise.