New to southern bucks

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by CJBumpus, Apr 27, 2016.

1. CJBumpus

CJBumpus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've never hunted down south before as I am from Massachusetts. I'm coming home from a deployment in a couple months and will be road tripping down to the northwestern part of Georgia, Anyone have tips or should I just continue on with the same old stuff i do back home? I plan on staying down there to hunt for about a week and ill out there every chance i can get.

2. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man, you're in for a pretty big change. What time of the year are you coming down?

3. CJBumpus

CJBumpus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Should be down around halfway through archery

4. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That time of year, on my Georgia property, there are still persimmons and tons of acorns. So, I stick to those food sources. We also have peanuts in our fields every year. I like to hunt the acorn and persimmon trees on those field edges. Of course, any travel routes to these food sources are great too.

5. JRock15

JRock15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pack lite. Doesn't get the cold down here. Nothing compared to up north

6. redbellybum

redbellybum Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Find the acorns and bring a thermocell.

7. KYhunter

KYhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First off thank you for your service! I have hunted down south and the 3 most important things I have found is pack light because it will be warm, buy a thermocell beacuse it will turn a good day in the woods into a miserable day in a hurry, and find acorns. They will always be deer around acorns.

8. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your service. As the others have said, pack light, I usually swap shirts once in the stand. Try to sneak in and out as quietly as possible. A thermacell is a must. If you can locate travel funnels/routes and there are acorns in that area, hunt it. If all you have to hunt are big pine tree rows, then get as close to a bottom as possible or try to locate fresh sign and hunt that. I try to stay away from hunting the rows of pine trees unless I am hunting with a rifle because it is the luck of the draw to get a deer in range there. Best of luck.

9. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like you will be either in the Appalachian range or the Piedmont. Bring your thermocell either way. Watch for snakes big time.

If you are used to mountain hunting or even the gentler hills of the Piedmont, you'll do just fine there. The southern coastal plain is a steeper learning curve than the Southern Piedmont or Southern Appalachians imo. At least it was for me. LOL.