New Tundra

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by bigcountry, May 29, 2010.

1. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Took my 99tacoma to toyota today for a rust inspection. It needs over 2K of work, like new tires, new shield, new bilstiens, new exhaust and brakes with 120K on it. Holy cow, I felt like I hit the lotto. They said as a safety issue, they have a buy back program of 150% kellys BB no matter what the condtion due to frame rusting thru. Giving me 11K for that heap. I have 4 wheeled that thing to death on the beaches and in the mtns. Shoot I only paid 22K for it in 99.

So I went and traded in my wifes rav4 and got me a 350HP tundra.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    WOW...that is a GOOD day BC. 11K for a 99 Tundra=fantastic! My 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 might sell for 2-3K---LOL.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This thread is WORTHLESS without pics!!!!! :p

Congrats! Wish I had one. :hail:

4. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its a shame either you didnt know about it or your truck didnt qualify earlier than this. From what i'm hearing KBB prices are definitely dropping. Toyota bought back (rust issues) my 97' Tacoma with 163,000 miles in April of 2008 for $11,400. They factored in my stereo system, oversized tires, truck cap, etc. which bumped up the price and then told me to strip the truck and take back whatever i wanted. Awesome deal none the less, i did the same thing you did and upgraded. I stuck with the Tacoma though

5. Champlain Islander

Champlain Islander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am probably going to trade in my 2007 Silverado soon and the Tundra is one that I am considering. I do wish they got better gas mileage though.

6. bigcountry

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly thought it was a gimic to get you to buy a new car. I have 4 cars, and maintaining all of them is killing me. So I took the truck to get a quick rust inspection, not thinking this would actually be real deal. My wife was waiting on me in her Rav. So the guy showed me a hole where my leafsprings are. And showed me the leafspring actually looks to be coming loose. So got rid of two vehicles, both together needing 2K of maint and came out with a new one.

But your right, I got the letter last year calling for the recall, and should have took it in then.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  7. bigcountry

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I was a little dumb. I wanted to go see what GM would do for me. But they wouldn't let me out of there. And sweetened the pot so well, I couldnt refuse. Looking back, I should have insisted not to buy today and went to look at a silverado. I always wanted to drive a silverado.

Yea 17MPG is going to suck.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  8. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to build these things in So. Indiana. I was not impressed with them at all. The older style Tundra was a much better truck. In all honesty, if I wanted a truck the size of the Tundra I would spend the extra money and get a Duramax. If your just wanting a full size truck I see no other reason to look at anything other than a Ford F-series. Highest selling, highest quality truck for more years than I want to spend counting.

9. bigcountry

Dislikes Received:
    So I should take it back?

10. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not saying that and maybe I came off a little harsh. I'm just saying that there are better trucks then the new Tundra out there. The truck never really took off in sales. Matter of fact we quit making them in So. IN. and that was mainly the reason I took a job with Ford. They are heavy and they have a gas sucking motor. Toyota has yet to master the F.E. in their bigger motors. Not to mention the price of them. You could have gotten you the GMC that you mentioned or a Ford for less money, better gas mileage, and maybe even better quality. I'm sure those salesman made you the offer of a lifetime because the can't move those things off the lot.

11. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why take it back, if it works for you and you love it then put another 120k on this one!

12. Champlain Islander

Dislikes Received:
    I always had Silverados and have bought 4 plus 1 Dodge since 1996. My last one is a 2007 and I never thought it was as good as the others. Nice ride but fuel mileage is not good and I have had problems right from the start with it. I have been looking at the Ford F 150 XLT and do feel they are probably the best truck out there right now for the money. Good design and a strong fuel efficient motor.

13. bigcountry

Dislikes Received:

I have had buyers remorse all night to be honest. Sick to my stomach. I do like it. But I don't do well buying large purchases.

I was stuck behind an 8 ball. Had a bunch of cash, Rav4 needs tires, runs like crap (worst toyo ever owned), still had 18month to pay off the rav. I have this goal of being totally debt free house and cars. Still hasn't happened. So they got the payment down to same as Rav.

So here's the plan. Wife drive it most of the time. I drive it hunting/crabbing/towing. I drive my camry most of the time. Wife is thrilled, but this car sharing crap is not going to work.

See here's the thing, I am tight as a drum some say. I don't buy drinks when I eat out. Drink water, its free. If I want a desert, I won't pay 4-5 dollars like some but will stop on the way home and buy a candy bar if I want a desert for 60 cents. I roll down my windows to get 33mpg on my camry, AC has been on maybe 10 times and only over 95F day. I do all my own maint on Harley, and all cars. Truck before last had 600K miles on it. (loved that truck). So a move to buy a 35K truck is against the grain. hense sick to the stomach feeling. So as harmless as your comment is, and probably meant, it just adds to the nausia.

14. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the question I would ask my myself is whether this was the best overall deal I would have gotten. Would GM or Ford have offered the trade in value of the vehicles or did Toyota give you a much better value? The Toyota is a nice looking truck and if you saved thousands over the other guys then you made the right decision;)

15. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your just like me and then about two weeks later your fine. I say if they got the payment down to what you were paying on the Rav4 then your fine. Heck, you got a brand new vehicle at the same price a month you were paying for a Rav4. New Tundra vs. Rav4 at the same payment......you'll be fine.

16. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Add resale value as well. The Toyota trucks hold their value much better than the Ford F-Series trucks. I know that my next truck will be a Toyota, and that resale value is one of the reasons.

17. bigcountry

Dislikes Received:
    This is the point that not too many people can argue. They gave me 13K for a 3.5 year old 54,000 mile rav4 that needed brakes and tires. Never happen with a ford escape. Or Chevy equinox

18. Champlain Islander

Dislikes Received:
    Toyotas are great vehicles no doubt. My 3 daughters have 3 of them and my wife drives one. I just have a hard time switching to their truck but I will be looking at them as well as the Ford.

19. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Did you purchase a platinum warranty? If not, do so. The air induction pump (AIP) issue that seems to be pretty widespread is no joke. $2000-$4000 in repairs, and often needs replaced more than once. It's not being honored under a regular powertrain warranty. Read up on it here.

Until they (Toyota) recognizes this as a manufacturing/part supplier defect, they're loosing respect in my eyes. Btw, I own an 05 Tacoma, a 96 before that.

20. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Give it two more quarters in the fiscal year and Ford F-series will be dead even with Toyota trucks on resale value. This I promise you and when it happens I will post the confidential info. from Ford themselves.