Patience during all day sits during the rut

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, Oct 18, 2012.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the area is a proven producer, I will not move. I think sometimes we second guess too much, or watch too many of the "pros" on TV moving around all the time. If I'm confident in a stand, have killed there before during that time period, I will be very hesitant to move. Whether thats right or wrong is up for debate.

Its all about location.

2. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I stay put. I take a book, some apples, trail mix, water, and a thermos of coffee. I don’t think the deer mind the smell of coffee at all. If it’s chilly out a cap full of coffee warms me up and I can sit longer.

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't agree more!! Be careful though If you decide to move. That time between 10:00 and 2ish usually has bucks on their feet moving. I've had allot of sightings In that time. If the wind Is bad, then the wind Is bad. Gotta move then.

Good luck If you decide to try an all dayer.

4. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I move after a few hours if I don't see a thing. I have several great locations and you never know if another hunter came by the day before and pushed the does out for a couple days. But when I am seeing deer I sit all day. A thick comfy cushion makes all the difference!

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, you guys are tough. I feel like such a p#$$y now:( I get in an hour before sunrise and it's all I can do to sit past 9am. LOL

If I'm not seeing anything, I start thinking about work I can get to on the property or at home or I want to walk around and check cameras or something. Serious adult A.D.D.:)
    We don't have a lot of deer and the one's we do we haven't really got them pattered so I feel like it's a crap shoot.

Going out next weekend solo and trying to figure out what I'm doing and where? The zone near me is out of season for deer for a few weeks and the other property is 4+ hours away and not really producing either so I'm leaning toward a hog hunt near home but they don't come out to much during the day and their filling up on acorns so their not coming to the feeders. You see, this is the stuff I think about. LOL

You guy make me want to be a better hunter:)

6. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've only successfully sat all day a few times, like afflicted I get distracted, or my butt/back says it's time to go. Granted, I don't have a feeling that I'll be seeing a 150" deer, so that could have something to do with it too.

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :) I even have a nice comfy 16' ladder stand with back and arm rest and I still start fidgeting after a couple of hours.

Honesty I start feeling guilty just sittting there doing nothing if nothing's moving:(

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Confidence is the number 1 equalizer that will make me stay put. If I know I am close to the does and the wind is right I am staying put all day 20 feet high in a tree. If the wind changes or I see or hear consistent deer movement somewhere else I will move around 12pm-1pm.

A couple of years ago I sat all morning during the primetime of the rut and did not see a thing. I was exhausted but quickly moved to another spot about 5 miles away. Killed a buck right before sundown. I knew that buck was in the area because I had seen him a month earlier and I knew does bedded close. Having multiple doe bedding areas up your sleeve is golden during the rut. Relying on only one can lead to days without possibly seeing anything.

9. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stay put knowing why I chose to be where I am.

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think that where people get in trouble with all day sits in in stand location. Sitting on a travel route from beds to food IMO, isn't the best all day rut stand. You're seriously limiting the times in which you're likely going to see deer. Finding a couple of bedding areas and hunting trails between them is best in my opinion. Like stated earlier, bucks will be on their feet, especially in the middle of the day, going from one doe bedding area to another, looking for receptive does. The chances of "all day" action are much greater.