whaty kind of snake is this?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Swamp Stalker, May 18, 2013.

1. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are no dangerous snakes where I live. My fear/hate for snakes goes back to when I was a little kid. Doesn't make sense to anyone but me. Just the way it is.

2. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Out on snakes....dont care what anyone says.....hate em all big and small

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We eat the deer. How did the snake taste?

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    well...like i have stated several times MY FAMILY is actively outside a lot.......my 4 and 6 yr old niece and nephew are over all the time and love to play outside...i value there safety over the life of a snake. and found it funny someone telling me it's a shame i killed it....when its my family's safety that im concerned about...

5. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's extremely easy to identify harmful snakes in 90% of this country. Rattlers are obvious for the obvious reason, the other is copperheads. Learn what they look like and where they frequent and watch out for those two. I too will kill any of these I see, but leave all others alone. To me killing these kind of snakes is no different than killing every squirrel/bunny we come across as well, they are equally as harmful to us.

6. blackxpress

blackxpress Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1. Anybody that spends any time in the woods should learn how to identify snakes. It's easy. Personally I hate rats and mice a whole lot more than any snake. I live in Ohio and we don't have many venomous snakes. However, I'm from Georgia and also spent a good bit of time hunting and fishing in Florida back in the day. Down there you learn how to identify snakes and how to move through the woods without stepping on one. The only snake I would ever kill is a venomous snake and then only if he was in a residential area where he might be a threat to people or domestic animals.

7. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I live west of the Mississippi and we have 4 venomous snakes in Texas. Rattle snakes, copperheads, water moccasin (cottonmouth) and corral snakes. I don't like snakes but they don't bother me when I see them first. I've walked around snakes in the woods and caught a couple small ones that snuck in under the weather stripping in the kitchen. Released them outside where they belong. :)

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I think Tim was talking about which side of the Missouri in North Dakota. :)

9. richl35

richl35 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't for a second agree with that statement. Every single animal I have ever harvested ended up on my dinner table. There are many I will not hunt anymore because I can't stomach the taste of them such as wild duck. And I love duck hunting too. Now if it was something venomous that endangered my family then have at it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

10. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care that you killed a nonvenomous snake, but you really should learn to identify snakes common to your area if you spend time outdoors, that will eliminate any possible fear when you come across another harmless one. Growing up in rural Louisiana I learned which snakes are worth worrying about at an early age.

11. Bch1988

Bch1988 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I gotta parrot everyone else. Need to learn your snakes. For safety sake.

But he was just a harmless corn. They're pretty docile pets actually.

I keep reptiles myself, but realize some people really don't like the scaled creatures.

12. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    SwampStalker, I could be mistaken but I don't actually think there are any native venomous or dangerous snakes in RI. I can see how maybe you're a little on edge because the previous owner kept snakes and who's to say what kind he had or if he had any escape his care. I'd prob be a little concerned aswell knowing that.

13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was not attacking you personally. I just hate seeing people killing harmless snakes. I was simply pointing out that is was very different from people killing "harmless" deer because we kill the deer for food. A lot of people kill snakes just because they are snakes. That in my opinion is a shame. My oldest son had a pet corn snake for many years. They are very docile and she loved to be held and would curl up in his shirt pocket. Definitely was not any threat to anyone. I like that you are at least goning to identify the snakes now and not just kill them. I wish more people would take that approach. Snakes are pretty cool if you learn about them and get comfortable with them.

14. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I took everyone's advice and looked up the snakes in my hunting area. Found out we have 4 venomous snakes. Always thought my dad was pulling my leg when he said to watch out for rattle snakes cotton mouths and copperheads. Definately a little freaked out to know there is a real possibly of coming across one of these. They aren't common but they are in my area.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

15. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes it is best if you conquer your irrational fears rather than beating harmless reptiles with a shovel. I'm pretty sure the corn snake wasn't going to eat any children. If you conquer the fear and show the children the snake, maybe you won't pass on the misconceptions.

16. The Old Man

Dislikes Received:
    Even if they are irrational fears it doesn't necessarily mean they are easy to or even can be overcome.

17. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All fears can be overcome. But hunters, of all people, should understand conservation and the balance of nature. I don't think being indiscriminate killers at any level is in our best interest. Respect for our resources, etc....

18. The Old Man

Dislikes Received:
    This is not an attempt to start an argument and I'll leave this alone from this post on. I just don't believe you are correct in this.

19. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    sorry if i snapped at some people or took some responses as an "attack". I'm pretty new to the forum, and was welcomed nicely, and have really enjoyed posting and seeing friendly responses, making me feel welcome and enjoy my time here. I guess when i saw some what seemed like negative responses to a question i asked,,,i got pissed off because i was told to "ask away, many knowledgeable people on here" response. i came here to this forum from another forum that has gotten way out of hand with bashing of people and immediately thought....here we go again.

I love the outdoors, i live and breath whitetails year round, and i love talking anything and everything whitetails, and truly enjoy coming here to talk about all of it. remember, hindsight is always 20/20. its easy to say what "should" be done when not in the situation, but reality is, you never know how you will react until you are in the situation. this applies to war...and almost everything in life. again my apologies, and lesson learned with snakes......lol!!

BRIANWI....please tell me how to overcome my fear of heights if all fears can be overcome!!! :moose:

20. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My mom is the same way and the wife hates them too. Sadly for mom, my brother and I loved catching and keeping them in the water tank in the barn when it wasn't in use in the summer. She seldom went in the barn when we were kids but when she did... it was usually good for a laugh when she came screaming out of there.

My daughter likes catching them and walking around the year with them much to the horror of the wife. She didn't fall to far from the tree. LOL

Tim