video camcorder

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by headstrong, Jul 11, 2010.

1. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. im looking for a camcorder that is priced well $500 or under. that works well in the field. would be nice if it was hd but i see hd camcorders dont zoom in as far as standard def. ones. would also like it to work well in low light

thx

2. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    sony handy cam has a 60x optical zoom and is small fits in your coat pocket karl zeiss lens very good quality for around $350.00 bucks.

4. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Richie that Handy cam I seen for $145 a couple months ago it really has come down.(Best Buy)
    I bought one last year at $269 and it does work great.

(This was for the 8GB) I just checked Best buy and I see that the 80 Gig is about $350..

T

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  5. headstrong

Dislikes Received:
    ya i looked at the handy cam with 60x. nice and small but i didnt know how well it would work out in the woods or low light. is there anything they give you or that you can buy for weathering (damp locations, rain, snow)?

6. Dickie Tunes

Dislikes Received:
    i have tons of video in low light and it was awesome its not like my professionjal camera but if you want something small i think its as good as a guy could get. i am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. i bring a large zip lock bag and i keep it in that so it doesnt get wet or snowed on.

7. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Are you using this to film self hunts or just to film deer? You are going to sacrifice picture quality with a higher zoom camera. A comparable Sony to the Panasonic I posted is 999.99 as Best Buy and uses 1CMOS sensor. If you are filming closer shots in hunting situations it would be better to have a 3-CMOS sensor versus a 1 ccd like the handicam has which is shooting 720x480 instead of true HD.

If you are looking for bang for the buck take a little time and look for a 3ccd or 3CMOS camera unless you absolutely need 60x optical zoom.

8. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    30 gig hd as well. Hell of a camera.

9. headstrong

Dislikes Received:
    most of the time i will be using it in hunting situations but also in scouting. would a 10x to 20x hd be better for my situation? i hunt 1/2 the time in the woods and 1/2 the time on field edges.

10. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Depends how far you want to shoot. You can also get extra lenses that double the zoom (2x) depending on the camera. If you aren't looking to shoot for HD DVD's then go for a cheaper setup with the higher zoom. I would still shop around, there are places in the net that will blow away Best Buy pricing;)

11. headstrong

Dislikes Received:
    well i was just looking at the handycam cx-110 its an hd cam. it says, it does real well in low light with its r cmos. dont know how well that compairs to the 3 cmos? 25x zoom and a price tag of $360

12. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    1 CMOS has one sensor, 3 CMOS has three sensors. The 1 CMOS will do well and produce a better quality playback versus the standard Sony Handicams. The price is good on that camera as well if you can get it for 360 bucks,.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  13. Dickie Tunes

Dislikes Received:
    buy it if you can get it for 360.00 bucks you better buy it.

14. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    headstrong,
    I think I have what your looking for. I have never cared for JVC, but they have a camera that will surprise you with its low light capability. This little sucker will let you tape right to the end of shooting hours. Others claim to be good in low light, but this one really is. The picture quality that comes from such an inexpensive camcorder will surprise you too. At $179.99 it is an awesome deal. It would be a good camcorder at about twice that. Plus you can get a good extended warranty that adds an additional three years to manufacturers warranty for only $28.88 You can't go wrong with this one IMO. Scroll all the way down to see everything about it. Last years model works fine for me, but if I had known they were going to come out with this one I would have waited.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/JVC-39-x-GZMS110BUS/14147544?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440401705521

Also, I think you would want 30X magnification or more for the situations you plan on using it for. Those 2X magnifiers are expensive for a decent one and they negatively affect your video quite a bit too.

15. headstrong

Dislikes Received:
    for a non hd cam. at 39x zoom and a price tag of $179. i might have to pick that up. going to have to weigh my option, hd @ $360 or nonhd @ $179