Venison Chili Recipes - Post Up!

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Justin, Mar 16, 2012.

1. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my mom made some of the best, i dont know the specific recipie but she used some of the neck roast, and some hind quarters with sweet and sour sauce in the crok pot and it tasted great, i had her make it for my birthday dinner and couldnt be happier.

2. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How 'bout now JZ?

3. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think he's ignoring you. But I give yours the nod after adding beans to it. I still say it ain't chili without beans!

4. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you even try it without? I see JZ is ignoring me. I have always been told original chili did not have beans in it and they were added to stretch the food.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    We only got three recipes submitted - not much of a contest here!

So what say you all? Did IV win the contest? Does he get an autographed Bowhunting.com DVD??

[​IMG]

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is better.....

7. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tony, you know yours is nothing but my recipe that you Tonified.

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is true ... but aren't all recipes that? ;)

9. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can honestly say I didn't look at any recipe to come up with mine. So put away your chili envy Tonemeister! hehehe

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I believe you ... but chili has the same basic ingredients. .... yours is definitely the second best I have ever tasted! :D

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You didn't make mine did you Tony :busted:

FTR, Muzzy's first ingredient in his chili, is a can of chili... wuss :tu:

12. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's ok Fitz, Tony would only make yours and then tell you he made it better.:lol:

13. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very true Coop!

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Okay - I made IV's recipe last night with a few small subs.

First, I didn't have any ground Italian sausage on hand so I used bulk venison breakfast sausage.

I didn't have any Hot salsa on hand, so I used mild. I did however supplement that with a few fresh jalapenos from the garden.

I also cut everything in half b/c I was just making it for myself.

All in all, I like it. The sausage meat gives it a little extra flavor and the bacon is a nice addition.

The only thing I don't like is that excess amount of fat that the bacon adds. My venison is typically pretty lean and healthy - lots of protein, little fat. With a lb of bacon in there, this is far from healthy.

I ate some for dinner last night, brought some in for lunch today and froze 3 portions for down the road.

Next up - Fitz's recipe.

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    OK Bro....I will give it a shot this week ... we will see if you can take second place from Mark :D

16. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    'Bout time someone had the cojones to try it :poke:

17. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And just like with the individual challenges, you'll end up tied for Ms Congeniality with PT.:whip:

18. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Future reference, if you use venison sausage, add some dried italian seasoning to it.

If I don't have hot salsa, I add more crushed red pepper flakes from the Korean Store. More bite than jalapenos.

Why didn't you use turkey bacon? That's plenty lean isn't it?

Buy some all beef franks and buns for the office and top them with the chili. Darned near decadent!

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Dually noted, sir! Great suggestions. I did add some "extra" crushed red pepper and cayanne to give it a little bit since the Salsa was on the weak side. I like my chili with a mild tingle on the tongue rather than making me cry and wonder why I ate it. I think I acheived that with this batch.

And next time I'll probably use the turkey bacon. I just didn't have any on hand at the time. This was kind of an impropmtu "I've got nothing better to do, let's cook up some chili" kind of afternoon. I had to work with what I had on hand. Next time I'll be more prepared.

20. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Turkey bacon as a breakfast food is fine, but I've foundturkey bacon as a recipe substitute for bacon tends to be nasty. W/O the pork fat, there's no flavor imparted. You're better off using McCormick's grill mates smokehouse maple seasoning. Try lightly sauteeing green beans with a small pat of butter (or substitute) and the McCormick's- it's awesome, tastes like you cooked it w/ bacon.

If the competition is still open, here's my submission:

1.5lbs venison, cut into small cubes (if you use ground, modifications will be explained later)
    2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp seasoned salt (Lawry's)
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp meat tenderizer
    1 can beer (cheap old man beer is best- Ol' Mil, Milwaukee's Best, MGD, PBR- no light, too much water)
    2 fresh garlic cloves (or 2 tbsp. minced)
    1 large white or yellow onion (chopped)
    olive oil
    1 cup bleached flour
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 small can tomato paste
    1 large can HOT Brooks chili beans
    1 can red kidney beans, RINSED, drained
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    shredded colby or pepper jack cheese
    oyster crackers

1) place venison in an airtight container (like a pyrex baking dish with a cover) and season with the seasoning salt, black pepper, and tenderizer. Add 1/2 of the chopped onion, half the garlic, the Worcestershire, and half the beer. Hand mix all ingredients until venison is evenly exposed to the mixture. Cover and place the mixture in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours. Drink at least the other half of the beer while you wait. (I've waited over night and notice no difference in marinate flavor.) Remove venison from fridge. Liquid should be absorbed by the meat, but drain any excess (later, you can add any remaining liquid to the pot prior to cooking if you want)

2) In a crock or stock pot, add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, beans (do NOT forget to rinse/drain the kidney beans. Don't rinse/drain the Brook's chili beans,) and cayenne pepper. Turn heat on lowest setting, cover.

3) place flour in large ziplock bag. add venison, close bag, and shake to lightly coat cubes. (Depending on size of bags, you may have to do this in small portions.) Heat large non-stick frying pan and a light coating of olive oil until ready, then add flour covered venison cubes. VERY lightly sautee at high heat, until the edges are barely browned. Quickly drain meat and place in chili pot with tomatoes and beans mixture, cover.

4) If you haven't already, chop all remaining peppers and onions. WARNING- do NOT touch your eyes or face after chopping the serranos. You will be sorry. Using same frying pan, very lightly sweat (sautee at slightly lower temp) all the freshly chopped peppers, onions, and garlic together. You can add a touch of olive oil if needed. Avoid breathing the steam, as it is pretty much the same as getting pepper sprayed. Sweating the peppers serves to temper the heat factor while still keeping the flavor intact. Add to chili pot, cover.

5) It's best to cook on low/slow heat for several (4+) hours, so a crock pot is best, but not a necessity. Just take care not to burn the bottom of the pot if you stove cook it. This recipe has good heat to it, but not so much that you can't taste anything.

This recipe is almost as good using ground venison (or even turkey.) To use ground meat, remove step 1.
    Just brown ground meat with the same dry spice ratios (minus the tenderizer) in a frying pan prior to adding to the chili pot, and add half a beer and the Worcestershire directly to the chili pot. (You still get to drink the other half.) With ground meat you probably can get away with half the crock pot time.

Either way, enjoy...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012