2014 Mathews ChillR Review

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Sticknstringarchery, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well ladies and gents, it’s here. What I would have liked to have seen last year. A longer ATA Chill. The 2014 Mathews ChillR. By now most have seen the video of the guys from BH.com talk about it. Now, it’s time someone whom is not sponsored by Mathews to tell you how it shoots.

The version I shot was the Tactical version so I did not have the pleasure of seeing the sweet looking anodizing on the cams and limb pockets. This one was all blacked out. The fit and finish was top notch. I didn’t notice any noticeable blemishes.

The grip is something I really liked on the 2013 Chill. It is slim and almost target grip like. It did a great job at reducing torque. It felt nice at full draw also. I am really picky about my grips and it passed with flying colors.

The weight at 3.95lb was good. I like a 4-4.5lb bare bow to start off with. Lighter is OK but, I really feel more solid with that weight range bow.

On the draw I wasn’t disappointed. It felt much like last years. I shot the 70lb version and it was a little stiff but, at 70lb most bows are. It drew smooth with a slight hump just before dropping off into the valley. Not much and to most this bow would probably be one of the smoothest bows they have ever shot. When it dropped off into the valley it wasn’t harsh at all. It dropped off and set right in to a solid back wall. The valley was deep and the let off felt great. The ability to hold for a long amount of time if needed is there. I was able to relax some and the bow did not feel like it would take off hard. Letting the bow down is nearly as effortless as drawing it.

If you have read any of my reviews, you know I usually shoot bows bare, with only a rest. This one was set up, ready to fine tune and hunt with. The additional inches were much needed in my opinion last year. The bow held great and with my 29” draw the string angle felt comfortable and not cramped. The pin sat on target well and it wasn’t with very much effort either.

On release the bow didn’t want to jump, kick or fall. It did however have a minute amount of vibration. This one was set up with a stabilizer but, it wasn’t the greatest one on the market for sound dampening. It was a 6” and not sure the brand but, didn’t have much in the form of vibe dampening material on it. Put a good stabilizer on it and it would probably be gone.

The speed seemed to be right where most all of the other flagship bows of this season are. I didn’t chrono the bow but, it didn’t seem any slower than most.

All in all, I think this is the bow Mathews should have built last year or at least should have been in the lineup. With specs of: ATA 33”, BH: 6-1/8”, Let Off 80%, IBO 342, Mass Weight 3.95lb.This bow could possibly be a do it all bow for the hunter who enjoys 3D during all season. The only thing I am not sure of is that short brace height. Other than that, I think it will be one of Mathews better flagship bows to date.

2. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the review! I have yet to shoot this bow bit I find myself wanting one pretty bad. How was the sound? Was it loud? That's one of the things that always stands out for me.
    What was the price tag on it? Thanks

3. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    No, it wasn't loud at all. The Price I believe was in the $900.00 range. I want to say they had it priced at $849.

4. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!

5. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Damn! By me they are in the $1000 range, one shop has them listed at $949 but they are the only one.

6. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work on your reviews. I shot this bow and the Creed XS and for me I liked the CreedXS better. On the ChillR I didn't like the way the draw felt, to me it felt a little harsh. This could be because the short brace height and dual cam that I am not accustom to shooting. I really liked the CreedXS the string angle isn't a problem for me since I have a 26.5DL. Everyone is different and needs to try them on their own and see what they think but for me I will probably be picking a CreedXS up after the season.

7. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I could've wrong or the guy could have. He's apart timer and was just filling in.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty accurate review IMO. I believe my Chill R had a slightly increased amount of jump/vibration on the shot than my original Chill, which is most likely caused by the difference in limb angle. The longer ATA means the Chill R isn't quite as parallel as the original Chill. However a set of Limbsavers took that right out and now it's dead as can be.

So far I'm very pleased with this bow.

9. Southpaw

Southpaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That bow is awesome looking can only imagine how hardcore it is out in the field.
    I already have 2 Mathews bows if I bring another one home my wife will bury me under the dog house.
    Trying to think of a way to ease her into my way of thinking :bow:

10. Jimolsson7

Jimolsson7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just ordered the tactical and this review has me itching to try this bow out. It sounds like it's almost everything I'm looking for in a bow. Does anyone know where you get one that shoots one pin out to 80 yds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great review! Thanks for posting!

12. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    One what? . Are you looking for a sight that adjusts to 80?

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    They all shoot 1 pin out to 80 yards. You just need to move the pin. :poke:

14. Jimolsson7

Dislikes Received:
    No it was meant as a joke. A bow that shoots one pin out to 80 yds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

15. Scowd

Scowd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the review. I went and shot it yesterday. It felt great to me! Went ahead and ordered myself the black tactical. It's going to take 7 weeks to get! It's going to be a long 7 weeks. My Spot Hogg sight just came in and my 3 test arrows are ready. Can't wait to start shooting it and hitting some 3-D shoots.
    Happy Holidays Everyone!

16. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I did not really like the xs. It is very nice shooting bow with a great cycle, however I feel that it gets really stiff the very last part of the draw. The first part is great though.

17. frogtosser

frogtosser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked mine up today, its been a few years since I have purchased a new bow and this was the smoothest, fastest one I have ever shot. I was thinking of putting an Axcel Amourtech HD sight on it but need to decide on the model. The shop I bought mine at had it priced at $999, I dont think I overpaid though as I was very impressed by the accuracy and groups I had. I am taller and have a 30" draw length so I am glad they came out with a taller bow.

18. Jimolsson7

Dislikes Received:
    Being Left Handed sucks. I finally got my Chill R and it's an awesome bow. I set it up with Easton Da Torch arrows. 30" arrow with a total weight of 370 grains is leaving the bow at 318 fps. This bow is a scorcher!

Sent from my iPhone

19. xtreme16

xtreme16 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great review! I shot both the creedXS and chillR and ended up going with the creed. Both awesome bows IMO.