Going traditional :)

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by StringPuller#1, Jan 15, 2013.

1. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How does one aim with a traditional bow?

2. Trout Slayer

Trout Slayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot with a sight and I used to shoot instinctive but now I am a gap shooter. When you learn the gaps (the distance between your point of impact and the tip of the arrow when looking down the arrow at full draw) you can get really accurate.

3. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    ahh thank you. Im trying instinctive right now, making slow progress = )

4. Trout Slayer

Dislikes Received:
    Research gap shooting. It will change your world and you will build consistency in your shooting which is critical for trad shooting. Make sure your anchor point is always the same too. But learning instinctive is a good thing as you will build a base of shooting that will give you a "second nature" towards your draw and shooting.

5. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    When you pull back the string, is it knuckles in toward your face, or knuckles out? It seems like if my knuckles are in, my elbow will be held higher which is better?

6. Trout Slayer

Dislikes Received:
    Knuckles out (or thumb up). I don't recall ever seeing anyone shoot with knuckles in before but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. You want your elbow and forearm to form a plane with the arrow so that upon your release you have a solid and inline follow through. Make sure your anchor point is the same every single shot. Getting form and anchor point down solid will make aiming a ton easier.

7. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Conventionally, most folks shoot knuckles out.

There are some disciplines that shoot knuckles in, and I've only ever seen folks do it in books, on TV and the internet. Never met anyone who does.

I have a friend that shoots with a thumb ring, like the old Chinese archers did. Another buddy that shoots an old yew bow with no shelf (his hand is the shelf)

I shot trad when I was a kid, and the last couple of years have started to piddle wih it a little bit again, but I certainly am not ready to hunt with one of my recurves or my longbow. I have tons of respect for those that do.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

8. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your going Trad, lose the sight, trad don't use sight!!!

9. Roy

Roy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I do go back and forth between the two. It is always easier to bring the compound when I feel the "pressure"
    My 2012 buck was 30ish the day before I killed him when I had my recurve. Next day I went in with compound, and rattled him to 8-9 steps.......I just keep telling myself "I would have missed him" had I brought the Widow!
    HA

Also take your recurve for turkey it is awesome with that much KE hitting the gobbler!
    Bring both bows if it is legal.

10. Roy

Roy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think it is like golf= the more I think about my swing the worse my shot is.
    If I pull up and anchor/release it feels smooth and goes right where I was intending.
    If I do a bunch of mental checks as I pull up and release - not so good