Thoughts on Baiting Deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Marauder, Nov 22, 2012.

1. iamsamsamiam

iamsamsamiam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100% well stated ! +2

Game laws are in place because we are such efficient killers we could easily wipe out the entire population and almost did once long ago with a lot less tech than we have now. Personally I feel like I'm cheating using scent sticks but will use them as long as they remain legal. If you're having fun and not hurting anyone then enjoy yourself I say. As others have said, baiting is just "the way we've always done it" in some places. And if its legal and the herd can sustain it then who am I to judge. Do what makes you happy inside the legal boundaries of your home state. And above all stay safe and have fun. One more thing. I'm fortunate to live in a farm state where there are plenty of feeding opportunities for the deer that I don't need to bait. (tho some still do) but I travel to states like mn and wi and in those dense forests I can see why baiting can help sustain the herd and give them incentive to stay. You guys need to suplement their local food supply and I get that. Go for it. I hope you all shoot a monster and above all I hope the deer pop everywhere continues to grow at or into a healthy herd. Around here we almost have too many deer.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. iamsamsamiam

iamsamsamiam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't mean to be overly critical. it's just that when I think of feeding I think about that story of the guys that took 15 does over the top of bait. and I know that you all don't do that but that's the kind of thing that I think about when I think about baiting

3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dude I have never seen 15 does over a bait pile,lol

More big bucks are killed over bait then most really know, and it's by some big named hunters also.

Hunt and be happy, it really is that simple. If someone wants a hard hunt, I believe they will be opening up the Arctic soon, have at it.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Aint that the truth Germ.

Riddle me this...your neighbor could (legally or illegally) have a bait pile 50 yards over the property line where you cant see it or even know its there that has been drawing in the deer youve killed for years.

Or, can you really consider your land "unbaited" if all your neighbors bait?

Making any kind of accusation or objection to ANY LEGAL form of hunting/tactics/equipment is just simply absurd. This is America, and as long as we follow the written laws, man can and will do as he pleases without reguard to another mans "views".

/thread.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    food plots, crop fields, baiting, buck bombs, doe piss, monster raxx......whats the difference? nothing

6. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Please don't confuse me with facts...my mind is already made up.. besides everybody knows real hunters spend all their time on the internet.. not over some damn bait pile....gheesh!

7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly

8. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When any of those things are illegal, there's a huge difference.

9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    baiting in many states is legal

10. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know that Brett, my comment wasn't directed at you. I'm talking to the dumbass who is bragging about illegal feeding here in Illinois

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    yeah that is just plain dumb and illegal

12. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Dude I'm done goin back and fourth with the legality of whatever u wanna talk about. Not once have I said that's what I do to take a deer. Yea I do it after the season and a little b4 if u consider two months before. But whatever I have no problem admitting that or that yes technically I'm doin something illegal. I can live with myself for that and If you wanna look down on it oh well it's not gonna hurt my feelings that somebody on the internet doesn't agree with me. Feel good about yourself I guess, So I'm not sure what point your tryin to make other than we disagree on the subject. And yea all those things listed are the same thing as well as someone goin out and planting a 20x30 food plot instead of dumping a bag of corn or mineral or whatever. Yea ones legal but basically it's the same thing, your drawing deer to s certain location that they may not of traveled b4.

13. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    And thank you for the dumbass comment, really shows how big a man you are.

14. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Or ever bragged about anything, but again thanks

15. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Using bait can be very effective on mature bucks in the early and late season (here).

I know a few guys that have perfected this type of hunting and lay down giant bucks year after year. The key is not to hunt over the bait, they hunt the beds that are connected to to bait.

16. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what I say Germ....If its legal, who cares how someone else hunts.

Stans BIG velvet buck from last year standing in the corn pile right befor the shot......congrats to Mr. Potts!!!

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/2012/06/27/stan-potts-hunts-for-kentucky-velvet/

17. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao:Did you really think that was possible?

18. nickster

nickster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have hunted with and without baited areas. If you are going to use corn i think a feeder with set time and amount of displacement is the way to go . At least that way the amount on the ground is controlled and the deer will not be going to the buffet duringthe night . Watch out for the bears if they are in your area, the will pig out on whatever you put out.

19. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I swear my son's kindergarten class is more mature than you people some times. The guy asked a question and was looking for serious feedback. The thread started out great and then goes down hill quick when some dudes try making it a wiener contest.

Here's the deal. I'm tired of a couple of people intentionally trying to stir the pot. If you received a PM from me, you know who you are. Keep it up and you'll be taking a permanent vacation from this site. Believe me, you won't be missed. For everyone else that didn't receive a PM from me, take note. Stick to the topics and be productive with your posts. Sarcasm is one thing, but being a **** is another. I can tell the difference pretty easily. (Except with Duke)

Carry on and play nice.

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The Duke part made me lol :D

Great post, Bro.... glad you roped this in..