Thoughts on Baiting Deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Marauder, Nov 22, 2012.

1. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You know, admitting that you break game laws on an open forum is quite stupid. Are you and the guy above you buddies?

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As long as baiting is legal in your state, I don't have a problem with it. Baiting is illegal in PA but I know plenty of people that do it, unfortunately.

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm stepping this up a notch.... People that use rifles to deer hunt have no ethics and most certainly aren't hunting.

4. iamsamsamiam

iamsamsamiam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1st off, no I do not use a treestand. I hunt from the ground. I have often though that tree hunters were cheating, but its not illegal so what can you do.

Baiting however IS and always has been ILLEGAL in this state and I have viewed it as such. Poaching. You might as well be out there with a flashlight and rifle, it would be no less legal than baiters.

You wanna talk about idiots? Let's talk about the moron who tried to compair it to abortion. Now thats retarded.

Baiting isn't unethical or immoral, its simply illegal and makes you a poacher in violation of law. Legally sanctioned murder of an innocent life by way of abortion is perfectly legal, but does indeed make you a bad person. Let's not try and compair murder to breaking game laws.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  5. iamsamsamiam

Dislikes Received:
    I don't write the laws son, baiting is poaching here and every bit as bad imo as spotlighting.

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Reaching a little huh....wow.

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only if its over bait and they shoot before legal shooting hours....

8. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm assuming I'm the guy your referring to. And yes I've admitted it as well that during the off season I do the same thing Pearce say for the same reasons, I'll even do you one better and have openly admitted to putting out bait to a very close friend who happens to be a conservation officer. Is it illegal yea, do I do it to harvest a deer no. Seeing as that's the only thing I do that's illegal when hunting I think I can lived with myself and not have any guilt. And with caution of getting more off topic then the abortion statement I also speed and don't wear a seatbelt both of which are illegal.

9. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  10. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you can't follow simple laws like everyone else then? Good luck with that, I truly hope you get busted.
    I like to run cams too, I do it without a baitpile. It's really not that difficult.

11. Snap-On

Snap-On Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In some areas you can drive your car/truck to the hunting zone, get out and drive your atv to your baited stand, shoot a deer with a rifle or other easy mode weapon from 20 yards. Is this hunt equal to a backpacking hunt after a Dall Sheep? Weather the guy that shot the Dall Sheep with a rifle or bow hes testing himself and his gear to the max over a sometimes 12 day hunt. That is hunting, even with a guide its very hard work

People hunt with rifles, people hunt from tree stands, people bait deer but do they seriously think this is equal to hunting off the ground? Hunting off the ground isnt even that hard, not to mention the safety aspects of hunting out of a tree stand, people die or get paralyzed all the time and we all see the threads on this board about them. I know a guy this happened to and he died not long after.

Everyone hunt safe!

12. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This thread is about LEGAL baiting, not poaching with bait!

13. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

This right here is a awesome response by Jeffacarp and 1 I totally agree with.....just last week I took my 6 yr son out with me on my Father In Laws property in Virginia.... and in the 2 days we were out there in our blind we saw 7 Deer..(didn't harvest any cause either were too young or on one I wasn't able to draw with her (Doe) location and she came up on us fast from behind.

Try telling my Son and for that case myself that Hunting isn't about the experience and quality of time (as Jeff stated) we were able to share together in those 2 days....it isn't about the harvesting of a Deer that means the most to me...it's about time with my Son and teaching him the quality of God's creation and beauty and respect of that animal.

I personally have no second thoughts whatsoever about baiting as long as your state says it's legal.

14. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, if they are like me they probably don't give a **** if the way the hunt is equal to the way someone else hunts. They aren't in some imaginary contest of who "hunts the hardest" that only they know about. They are just enjoying themselves and not worrying about whether or not they measure up to some dumbass, bull**** rules about who hunts the hardest made up by some guy with a made up internet name that needs to denigrate someone else to feel better about himself.

15. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure hunting is very difficult for a few of these guys, life in general surely poses challenges to a select few.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  16. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So your telling me you follow ever single law out there no matter what it is? I also run cameras without bait piles and your right it's not that hard. But as stated earlier in Illinois the baiting law stated it illegal except "grain or other feed scattered or distributed solely as a result of normal agricultural, gardening or soil stabilizing practices." So basically if I choose to I can park a gravity wagon near my stand and if filling it with combine some corn gets on the ground well that's ok, so how is that different then taking a five gallon bucket a dumping it out. Neither of which I do during the season or any time after roughly Aug 1. But thank you for wishing me getting caught, I understand what the consequence would be and would gladly except that.

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great post!

Samiamsam...... dude.....

18. iamsamsamiam

Dislikes Received:
    <3 u 2 PT.

19. Snap-On

Snap-On Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting is about the experience, if you dont get that get out of the stand.

20. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tell me more, I'm confused....