Thoughts on Baiting Deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Marauder, Nov 22, 2012.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lets look at an example...Saskatchewan ...go up there with a decent outfitter and you will have days where you have multiple bucks sighting in a day...do you really think in that country and terrain outfitters would be able to place stands with production like that without bait? Can you have one or stand that can produce like that in a given season without bait, yes with work and scouting...but to do it to such a degree that you could run multiple successful outfitting operations...there that isn't happening with out piles of alfalfa. No way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those deer may as well be their own species from what I keep hearing. That's using alfalfa not corn in highly hunted areas also.

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I put some out around a few cameras during off season and is all removed no later than Aug 1. As others have stated Illinois has plenty of corn and soybeans and also on my farm I hunt theres also clover, wheat, and rye that's planted after crops are out so it's not really needed, or legal, but if it can be out there due to ag related circumstances according to the law. Whats the didifference if I dump lil corn out.

4. Snap-On

Snap-On Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you bait and shoot a deer you were not hunting

5. Travis Cuppy

Travis Cuppy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think it helps keep deer around it areas where food is scarce, much like our northern woods in spots. Some of my buddies have acres and acres of food plots strictly for deer and it provides more feed than a bag of corn I put out, all which are expensive and time consuming. We all love hunting deer and if it helps you harvest one for food and fun then feed away!
    During rut times it does nothing for me and preseason they are always hitting them at night and gives us some good trail cam shots.
    Either way I would prefer to set up in funnels and natural travel corridors.

6. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    What were you doing then? Not starting a argument jus hate that "if your doing blank then your not really hunting." Why bc your swaying the advantage in your favor to be able to harvest animal? Well unless we all go out there in lion cloths and homemade bows with flint broadheads then I guess nobody hunts anymore.

And no I'm not a baiting advocate and don't bait as explained on other reply, just hate that statement.

7. Snap-On

Snap-On Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not talking about a food plot that gets plowed under in the fall and is only to help the deer in the off season.

I'm talking about actual baiting, it sounds funny but watch the king of the hill deer hunting episode with bobby and his dad when they go to a place that has a fence and the deer come to the feeders and then you can shoot one.

Hunting is different for everyone but nobody needs to kill a deer, it's a voluntary sport! I want the deer to have a fair chance and not come to me because I bought some call or I bought some crap in a bag to lure him in.

8. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Baiting is legal here & I use corn around my trail cams . I use a little during the season here & there but I have more luck patterning than baiting.

9. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you thought out your response there buddy...

10. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I'm sure theres more than myself on here that view hunting as more than a "voluntary sport". Yes we choose to hunt, but its much more than that. Hunting is an experience, its a way of life, its providing food for the table in some cases. Hunting is about respect for the animal you harvest, having a connection with the beauty of creation, and using all parts of the animal that gave its life at your hand.

The statement, "nobody needs to kill a deer" is false. I can think of three to four lower income families in our town that rarely eat beef or pork and rely on the does they harvest to feed them and their children. I'm sure others on here know of similar situations where people do "need" to shoot deer to put food on the table. I'm not looking to argue, but your comments seem to be shortsighted.

oh, and "crap in a bag to lure him in"...last monster raxx purchase I made, the mineral came in bags. It also added huge inches of antler growth to my deer herd, kept more deer on the property, and I couldnt be more pleased with my purchase of that "crap".

11. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    I understand what your getting at there, and there are places that will take u out to a feeder at a certain time of day and be like there ya go shoot, yea that's not hunting. But really there's not much difference, in my opinion, to plant a 1 acre or I've even seen less food plot and hang a stand over it and call it different than dumping "crap" out of a bag jus because the food plot grows naturally.

12. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    like said before in Illinois you cant bait deer but right after season i will on cameras to see what survived and i will when they have velvet to see what shooters i have but never hunt over bait and make sure it is long gone befor i hunt anywhere on my property

13. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow "Crap" and "Calls" to lure them in huh.... IMO grunting a buck in is hunting, hitting a key,key,run to bring in a turkey is hunting.

14. iamsamsamiam

iamsamsamiam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Baiting is illegal. I am of the opinion, real hunters don't bait. Hunting over a bait pile is one of the worst forms if poaching imo. It ranks right up there with spotlighting deer in my book.

15. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really? A person could say the same about using a tree stand dude. I know and have had the statement made to me that using a tree stand and waiting on deer to walk by isn't hunting. So I guess because they said that, you aren't a real hunter because I am sure you use a tree stand right?

The legal definition of poaching: The illegal shooting, trapping, or taking of game or fish from private or public property.

Here I a link to help better understand how this definition and why there are laws against poaching:
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=Poaching

If it is being done legally in a state that allows it, it's not poaching.

You may not like it but, to each their own. It's not our place to judge others methods of hunting as long as they are doing it legally. We are all hunters unless we are legally defined as poachers. You may not agree with it but, to call a man a poacher because he uses a legal (as long as legal) form of hunting is a little drastic don't you think?

16. Snap-On

Snap-On Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Abortion is legal, don't mean it right! Get a moral compass!

17. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You sir, are an idiot. And if thats out of line then i will take my punishment...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

18. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This cannot be serious....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

19. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You have got to be kidding me! Really you are going to compare the two?

This from the same person who said if legal shooting hours were at 7 am and the biggest buck of his life came by at 6:45 am he would shoot. Morals must be a pick and choose kind of thing for you!

20. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spot on Siman.