Help me design my new arrows for my Destroyer-350

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by shed, Jun 3, 2011.

1. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys help me out. All you techincal gurus please chime in. After last archery season I started thinking about possibly purchasing a new bow. I hadn't since 04. I wanted to build a flat shooting "WHITETAIL" specific treestand bow. I went out and shot all of the big named high end bows and several others that aren't so big named. Anyway, I ended up liking the Destroyer 350 the most. Now ... what I am asking from you all, is for you to help me design the flatest shooting 1 pin arrow I can come up with out to around 30.... that still isn't gonna compromise the momentum I need to make efficient kills. I am not gonna lie. I want to shoot NO more than 3 pins out to 50 yards from my stand if this bow is capable with the "right" arrow. Is it even possible?

Let me have it. What would be the best arrow package for this Destroyer, I am shooting it at 29 inches. 70lbs. hoping for 3 pins out to 50 yards.. first pin hopefully flat out to almost 30.. ???? is this too much of a stretch..

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shed,
    In order to accomplish this i am suggesting a light arrow. I have an inch on your draw length and my 431gr arrow with first pin set at 25 was about 5" low at 30 and about 5" high at 20. With a lighter arrow these differences would be less.

Look at your setup and figure out the lightest possible arrow that will give you the most KE/ momentum.

3. j87harris

j87harris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dont worry about the arrow, instead, buy a sight along the lines of the optimizer by HHA. this is the sight i use and i have one pin good for 20-60 yard(unless u make your own custom tape like i did out to 90yds)

The optimizer is a moveable sight and realy easy to set up and very acuurate.

4. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hi shed,
    I have a 2010 d350 my bows birth cert is 349 fps with a 350 grain arrow @29'' inch draw at 73 lbs
    My draw is 30'' and i hunt with bow set at 73lbs
    I shoot flatline 340 28 inches long and a 100 grain tips the arrows total 370 grains and chrono in at 343fps. the arrows shoot very well out of the bow and i am very happy with the set up and over the 350 grain min per bowtech

some people told me to try some 300's and i picked up some n-fused arrows but they just didnt shoot well out of the bow,I did not chrono this arrow

I also shoot the hha single pin deal and i sighted it in @ 23 yards and i will not say lazor beam flat to 30 yards it has almost zero hold over but past this i am no help, it's so thick here a 20 yard shot is a long distance ordeal, not that i dont practice longer ranges i just holdover on the target and not adjust the sight for each shot. kind of a kss system for dummies along with a sizzor rest so i can give my full attention to the deer during the shot.I zone everything else out.
    If i was going to shoot longer range with higher winds conditions i would go with a heaver arrow,but thats me

I have said this before before some of you guys flame about not needing this much speed, I bought a hotrod bow because i like things that go fast as do others.:whip:
    hope this helps.

5. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All good food for thought. Thanks guys, I hope some more guys chime in with their experience and ideas with a lighter arrow set up for whitetails. I am going to shoot out to 60 yards actually and I believe this bow can handle that. Will I ever take a 60 yard shot on a whitetail, I HIGHLY doubt it. I just want to practice out to 60 with this bow. I practice out to 50 with my 525 grain set up on my Bowtech Liberty 80 and I shoot it very good out to 50. I've got my Liberty as a "hammer" thumper and I want my Destroyer to be my "rocket" .

6. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats pretty danged impressive.

7. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Harvest Time HT-2 arrows. Depending on how long your arrows are going to be, seems like you might be a 350 (28-29 inch arrows). HT-2 350 are 8.1 GPI and with a 100gr tip you'll have no problem shooting one pin out to 30 yards. You might have one inch of drop from 20-30. They also have a promo out right now for 15% off.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  8. bowhuntjoe

bowhuntjoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Z7 is set at 70lbs 28-1/5" and shooting Carbon Express Mach5 arrows spot on at 30 yards with the 20 yard pin.. there the 350 spine, 28" Mach 5 with blazer vanes & arrow wraps.. have not seen how much they weigh yet but a bit under 370g i recon.

could give it a try mate :)

9. headstrong

Dislikes Received:
    Mach5 are also 8.1 GPI

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There wont be a 1'' drop from 20 to 30 with that bow when shooting a arrow from 5 gpi to 6 gpi i have the same bow and tested numerious shafts being in the arrow building bussiness , depending on what total weight arrow and foc is 30 yards will shoot higher than 20 yards , i found the break of the arch was at 35 yards with a 330 gr arrow with 11.8 FOC out of my 60lb 2010 Destroyer at 29'' draw. That being said i can shoot a single pin easly to 40 dead on with out holding under or over

11. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    and also i flat blew through deer with that 330 grain total weight arrow at 38 yards and 44 yards this past season , with the 60lb Destroyer at 58 lbs

12. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of very good suggestions here.
    I would look for something in the 370 range. My maxima blue streak is 377 grains. My first pin is set at 25 and my second at 40 and third at 50.

13. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think a light weight arrow with a good FOC will get your job done Troy. I tried using a heavy arrow (340 FMJ) over 500 gr. last year and had trouble getting them to fly with 100 grain heads. Not enough FOC.

Lots of good arras to choose from these days. I'm currently using Gold Tip XT Hunters in 7595. They fly great out of my new Mathews ez7 at 30"-65 lbs. I also have some CX Maxima 3D Selects that fly really well out of it.

14. headstrong

Dislikes Received:
    Thats why I said "might" He may you has the same bow but doesn't mean it's going to get the same performace. What I'm trying to say is. I'm putting in some fudge factor:)

15. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    And thats why i said ( There wont be a 1'' drop from 20 to 30 with that bow when shooting a arrow from 5 gpi to 6 gpi ) ...........:p

16. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Destroyer 350 also and love it but I am not sure what to tell you due to my pins being set up at 20, 30, 40, and 50! My bow is on dead nuts with all the pins!

17. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure I understand what you are saying here...are you saying the arrow will rise and not drop at 30 and start to fall/peak at 35 yards when shooting out to 40? He must be sighted for 40 for this to occure, if he is sighted at 20 or 30 then the arc will occure before said yardages, and POI will be at 20 or 30..

Also, you state you can shoot flat out to 40 yards with no holdover. What is your bow sighted in at, becuase there is no possible way for any bow/arrow combo out there to shoot flatout to 40 yards with a single pin...unless you are sighted for 40 and shooting 40. If you re sighted for 20, 23, 30, 27 or any other yardage with that single pin, you will have to hold over to shoot 40.

If I am reading it wrong I apologize, but you cannot shoot flat to 40. It has been argued here 1000 times over it is physically impossible, even if you shot 400 fps.