Muzzy Broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowtech life, Feb 12, 2013.

1. MyNewZXT

MyNewZXT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bought a bowhunting mag the other day , had a full page muzzy ad declaring, "90 is the new 50" . It would seem, according to the ad muzzy broadheads will infrease your effective range. I have nothing against muzzy but ads like that sour me on a company.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Double lunged shots will create two bloodied holes in both lungs and sides of the deer. Blood will come out these holes landing on the ground for a good trail to follow unless something clogs the holes. If shot through the heart it will have similar holes only this time through the heart and hopefully sides of the deer as well. :D

All that tongue in cheek aside it'll do the job easily if you do yours.

3. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah agreed I definitely don't condone that sort of message!! :( Unfortunately there are to many hunters out there that don't get taught right and get great guidance and advice from other respectable hunters.

4. bowtech life

bowtech life Newb

Dislikes Received:
    GUIDENCE FROM A EXPERIENCED HUNTER IS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN AND BECOME A GREAT HUNTER, sorry caps was on. but when you have an older hunter whos been hunting his whole life its best to listen to him

5. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    True.. as long as he is an ethical and respectable hunter yes.

I was mainly referring to the Muzzy add (stating it will increase your effective range) that some newer fresh hunters that don't know better may take that as gospel and make bad hunting decisions. :)

6. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzys are the first broadheads I used and I don't see any reason to change. They did their job, superbly, and the only change I might make is going to the MX-3 from the regular 100 grain Muzzys.

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I switched from Muzzy's to Viper Slick Tricks which I like because the blades are thicker but they don't stay together like Muzzy's if you take them off your arrow.

As mentioned though, If it aint broke...

8. Jhoyt

Jhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Theres always a smartass some where...lol

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :D seriously though, they're great heads...I just get really tired of the head debate and comparison stuff.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy's have killed hundreds of critters for me. They are tough as they come and fly great. Keep using them.

11. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All companies do this. It's part of advertising. They all have "The Best Product On The Market". At least with these guys, you know you are getting a quality product that has been field proven for a very long time. Not always so with a lot of companies who will try to push junk on us. I think on the whole we are smart enough to know a stretched truth for what it is.

12. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the same people who own Rage now own Muzzy. So while the muzzy heads are the same, the advertising might suck just like it did with the rage.

Anyhow, I switched to Muzzys many, many years ago and haven't ever seen a reason to change again. I love the muzzys. They are reliable and inexpensive. Not just the replacement blades but the whole heads are less expensive than most all others.

13. MyNewZXT

MyNewZXT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    there's a big difference between, "best on the market" or "highest quality materials in the industy" " catch us if you can"; AND " shoot farther with our head" or "90 is the new 50" .

See the difference? So saying, "everyone does it" just isn't true. Claiming to have a superior product is one thing, claiming your product will allow me to take longer shots, and to name 90 specifically; just seems irresponsible.

14. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see it that way, but it's an opinion, and we know about opinions.

15. MyNewZXT

MyNewZXT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  16. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    If it is the same owner and they take the same advertising path as they did with Rage, I will find a new head to use. I have used Muzzy since they first came out, but will dump them if they start in with the same crap that they use to market the Rage junk.

17. MyNewZXT

MyNewZXT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How was rage marketed?

18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    As a cure-all for poor shooting. As a magic bullet type head that would kill any animal regardless of where it was hit. "Expand your kill zone." "Like an axe through an animal." Crap like that.....

At this point, I am positive that there is no other head responsible for more lost and wounded game in the history of bowhunting. Unless you consider the few thousand years that stone heads were used. Then, to top it all off, they started to market a low KE head. Just asenine in my opinion. Absolutely the most unethical marketing campaign in the history of the sport. And then they got suckers to pay three times what those disposable, rubberband wearing heads are worth.

19. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have tracked wounded deer with John Jeanneney, and handled dogs with him and he feels the same way. This is coming from the man that pretty much wrote the book on leashed tracking dogs, has taken well over 1000 wounded deer tracks with his dogs. These are the worst of the worst tracking jobs, well after the trail has been lost and many times 12 to 24 hours later...Say the word Rage and he just stakes his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. MyNewZXT

MyNewZXT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dunno, you be the judge. This is page 29 of the Jan/Feb 2013 issue of Bow&Arrow Hunting magazine.

[​IMG]

the part in blue behind the flash says,

"BAD TO THE BONE"

And what's the difference between "crafted in the USA" and "Made in the USA"??