Need help with arrows!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by HuntingNONstop, Nov 21, 2012.

1. HuntingNONstop

HuntingNONstop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To: ISiman4
    Then the question is should I get the XT or the expedition? Are the Gold Tip XT Hunters worth the extra money?

2. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm now that's a question I wish I could answer but I honestly don't know. I started out shooting the expeditions and switched to the XT's just because I had the little extra money. They are suppose to have tighter tolerance so in theory they are more accurate.

3. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The expedition has a straightnesss tolerance of .006" the xt is .003". Same exact shaft. Out of a hunting setup, you will never see a difference.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My son shoots 45# at 25" draw length.

He shoots Axis .600's at 25 1/2" long with feathers(factory wrapped). We used 75 gr brass inserts tipped with 100 gr Magnus Stinger buzzcuts. Total arrow weight 385 gr and 20% FOC

This makes for an awesome hunting setup and worked great on the buck he killed this year.

I believe this would work well for your setup as well.

5. HuntingNONstop

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thank you tfox. I'll think about that. It sounds like a good setup and I like that it goes to .600 spine, it's just that's a little too pricey, when I think the Gold Tip Expedition/XT might do just as good for less. The only think I'm hesitant on, is will I be ok with a 3555 that is .500 spine or should I look for something with .600?

6. HuntingNONstop

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys this is what I'm deciding from...
    Easton Axis .600- all around heard were very high quality but a little pricey at $64.99 for 6
    Easton Carbon Ion .600- made for low poundage and short draw length bows like mine at $49.99 for 6
    Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 3555- good price, overall heard good, just questioning if .500 spine isn't good for my bow, $39.99
    Gold Tip XT Hunter 3555- good price, little better than ^ but still question the spine, that if 600 will be better for me, $49.99

I need your guys help on deciding^ don't just say an arrow if you use it, tell me what the best is for my setup and WHY. Also if i will be ok with a 500 spine or if I need the 600. Thanks so muchh!!

7. ISiman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    The gold tips should be fine if you bump up your tip weight to soften the spine a bit. There is charts you can look at on the web sight.

8. HuntingNONstop

Dislikes Received:
    Ok but I want to stay at 100 grain because I don't want to buy all new broadheads and points. I like the gold tips better as of now but I'm wondering if they won't suit me as well as if I had a 600 spine. You guys think I'll be ok with 3555 gold tips or better off with a 600 spine arrow.

9. ISiman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I would try some weighted inserts upfront just to get your arrow weight and FOC up. Trust me I've been making the mistake of hunting with a light arrow and I believe I have lost deer because of it.

10. HuntingNONstop

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I'm going to go with the gold tips because its a 500 spine, I'll just be smart and go with a 600 spine since that's where I should be setup as. You know any good arrows that are available in 600 spine?