ATV tires

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by donut757, Mar 18, 2013.

1. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know plenty of yall here have ATVs that get you to the hunting grounds, or use daily around the farms or whatnot.

I am looking into getting some new tires for my atv. Its a Rancher 420 2x4. I just got it within the last year for hunting and scouting primarily, and take it out and ride with some friends occasionally during the year. I dont need 4x4 as the hunting grounds have pretty well taken paths/roads and 2x4 hasnt gotten me in trouble yet. Maybe a bad mud hole here or there which can be avoided most of the time if i dont want to try my luck.

The factory tires have done a good job and i have no complaints as i dont expect them to be mud tires and grab like mud tires, but have done well. Having said that Im in no hurry to replace the OEM tires. But i would like to go ahead and figure out what i want so i can get my money right and get them when i need them, or when i want the change. Im not looking for any of the crazy mud tires, just the all terrain tires geared towards mud, maybe something like the Kendra Bearclaw or Mud Lites, but i wanted to ask what everybody is running.

So what tires are yall running for on your ATVs for woods/light mud terrain?

Should i stick with a OEM comparable tire for the front as its only 2x4 and save some weight and some money?

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you aren't big on the hype of other tires and just want some standard tread call your local dealers. You can get the factory takeoffs anywhere from 25-50% off retail. Factory tires aren't the greatest but for more trail and non aggressive use they do well. I never really needed the aggressive treads or name on my tires.

The main thing others with more knowledge may be able to help with is tire repair. The stock tires on my previous Suzuki would not hold a patch or plug for some reason. Not sure if the compound kept the rubbers from vulcanizing or what the deal was.

3. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    there are so many better choices over the stockers that will improve traction and handeling, im on hondaforemanforum.com and i would say if you want a good all terain tire i would look at the maxxis bighorns or STI black dimonds. the bear claws aint a bad tire ether, they come in a 6 ply and a 8 ply. stay away from the mudlights they wear quickly.

4. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Big horns for all around use. If you want to go cheaper you can buy the big horn tread pattern in a knock off chinese brand. I do not know how well they hold up compared to name brand though.

5. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking and the Bighorn 2.0s along with the bearclaws are on my short list. Im sticking witb my 11" rims in the rear so my choices are somewhat limite. But hopefully somemore will chime in and help give me a better idea.

6. Black-ice

Black-ice Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X2 Yamaha forum here, stay away from mud lites (junk) i had a set. Bighorns excelent choice from what i have heard.

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I owned many Hondas at our resort in Ontario and always ran the stock tires. Got over 15,000 miles on each set driving over the Canadian Shield. I abused those tires bad.

On our personal machines we had Mud Lites, and like others have said, they are junk. We also had the Maxxis Bighorns on a Rincon, Rhino and Commander. The Bighorns are awesome tires and I wouldn't hesitate to put them on every machine from here on out.

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Or, you could wait until these hit the market in 2014..... :D

[​IMG]

9. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Those look like something from Mad Max! Sweet :)

10. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those are awesome looking. I wonder how pricey they will be...

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    No idea on price. But, they are being made by Polaris and I heard it will be an extra $300 option to switch to these tires.

My concern would be mud getting trapped in the holes and being thrown. Especially the clay we have in Ontario.

12. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bighorns are the way to go... OR if you want to save a little money, Get the GBC Dirt Tamer, same tire only Bias Ply instead of radial.

I've had the Dirt tamers for around 2 years now... Awesome tire, I ride and abuse them alot up in WV. They are hanging tough, no real signs of tread wear yet either.

13. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    search craigslist or ebay for a set of foreman or rubicon 12in wheels for cheep and it will give you a much better selection

14. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    or just getin trapped in and the added wieght to try and turn them..