Public Land Rifle Buck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by boof, Nov 4, 2012.

1. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, Im aware its a bowhunting website, but wanted to share this deer anyway!

My brother, dad and I have been hitting up our annual west river rifle hunt for four years now. It has become one of my favorite rituals and this wont be the last year we go. This year was going to be a crapshoot, with the EHD hitting South Dakota really hard we didnt know what to expect. Success is never predictable with this hunt anyways, as we are on public land.

The opening morning was beautiful. Hardly any wind and temperatures that were fit for rutting bucks. As the sun rose, I heard the "thump thump, thump thump, thump thump" noise that muleys make when running. I looked at the horizon and standing there was a small muley buck. At 15 yards broadside, I would have let an arrow fly if this was a bow hunt. However, I feel like I have matured with my years of rifle hunting, and didnt feel the urge to take this deer. It was still an experience being eye level with a muley, regardless of size. Within the next 20 minutes, I saw some more movement around the big country hills. More bucks on the move that were rocking the swollen necks. I tried my best to make moves on these deer, but the overgrown draws were proving to be too much. Nothing got within 400 yards.

That night I watched the same areas and no deer caught my eye. This was especially tough to swallow as I logged onto BH.com after the hunt to see so many big deer down. I was getting my regular "buck anxiety" now. That feeling I get when I think the season is going to fast or feel like the odds arent in my favor for a big deer.

The next morning I tried to put myself in better position for one of those bucks I saw the morning before. The first 30 minutes of shooting hour went by without spotting a deer. That anxiety was creeping in again when.... movement on a distant hill came into my binoculars. It was a buck, one I would be proud to put my tag on. He was scent checking a tree line and heading for the creek bottom I was perched on. At 800 yards away buck fever was already setting in.

When he hit the creek bottom at 600 yards away he was on a mission. Cruising down the dried watering hole he didnt care that it was a little foggy, or that my scent was blowing right at him, or that he was in the wide open. He was rutting, hard. This buck was playing right into my hand now. I could already see his skull on the wall and taste the sausage because this guy was going to be at 100 yards in no time. Then he hit a stop sign, something in the near by draw changed his direction and he was about to sneak into the evergreens and be gone forever.

I quickly ranged and stopped him with a loud "meh". I realized how unnatural it sounded afterwards. None the less, I put the .243 on him and squeezed off a shot at 210 yards. Then there was that blink of an eye moment when you transition from looking through the scope to looking with your naked eye. I thought I saw a high leg kick that goes with a connecting shot, but wasnt sure. He ran about ten yards and stood there looking around. I didnt hesitate to send another piece of lead his way and after the second shot he disappeared into that draw that he was so interested in.

It all happened so fast. I didnt know what to do next. My archery hunting side of the brain told me "wait it out". But my rifle hunting side of the brain said "hey, your holding a rifle". Rifle hunting side of the brain was right, so I picked up my gear and sped for the draw. When I got there I found some blood, not much though. I started following the faint trail and it swerved through the evergreens. Simultaneously my phone was blowing up from my dad and brother as they heard the echoing shots. Then I saw his bloodied up muzzle and horns, he was laying a stones throw away and lifeless. After recovering him it turned out both shots hit him in the lungs and the entrance holes were just an inch apart. In that moment angels started singing the sky got dark while a ray of light hit him (not really though). He was beautiful.

I answered the texts and admired him. It was my biggest muley buck to date and I was so struck by his curled tines. After snapping out of my trance, I did the regular housekeeping and got him to shore for some pictures. A crappy cell phone picture wasnt going to do this guy justice, so we took a little extra time getting that part right.

My brother and dad are still out at camp hoping for similar success, I had to jet back east river for a Chem test tomorrow. Getting a hunt like this to come together on public ground is an awesome feeling, having my dad and brother there to enjoy it with me is even better. Enjoy the pics, thanks for reading.

Now to get back at it with the bow!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's an awesome buck. Really cool looking points, how they are curly. Congrats that's a great buck.

3. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck and story brother! Sounds like a blast out there

4. Oh2b

Oh2b Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cool buck but the west river rifle opener is next weekend isn't it? Is there a early open unit somewhere?

5. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some river counties have an "A" season and a "B" season. The "A" season opened yesterday, "B" seasons and all other regular west river seasons open next weekend.

6. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice one Boof!

7. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet looking Muley! Congrats

8. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    South Dakota boys! You have a tag for next weekend?

9. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, love the wavy tines. I have two more weeks before I leave for my west river hunt. I have a whitetail tag for the FT Pierre grasslands!

Sent from iPhone

10. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you done that hunt before?

11. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What an awesome lookin wavey tined muley!! Congrats :)

12. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya had the same tag last year. Missed one 160" in buck and one that would have grossed over 180".

Sent from iPhone

13. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats.

14. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, public land hunting out there? Shoot straight this year!

15. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great story and great buck Boof! Very cool looking, congrats :D

I love that you took him with a .243... they are awesome. So many would argue that you are way undergunned for what you were hunting, I guess you proved you weren't! :D (Heck I know guys that won't hunt 120lb whitetails with anything less than a .300 mag LOL)

16. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! Your buddies are fools, it doesnt matter what size the lead is when you hit the mark!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  17. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the Mulie!