NuFletch test results

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by SOIL hunter, Aug 24, 2012.

1. SOIL hunter

SOIL hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sponsored or endorsed by Nufletch or any other product (I am open to offers though). I contacted Nufletch and asked for a sample to perform some test and they mailed one out a couple of days later.

First off, the Nufletch system that I received is a very well machined piece. The quality is top notch.

I performed the test light night with My G5 Quest Primal 70# limbs 29" draw, Easton FMJ 400 spine 28" cut length, and 1 Nufletch Light System. I did the test at 65# (limit of the FMJ 400 spine) and at 71# (new limit of the FMJ with Nufletch). The test was performed with field points only. Below are the test results.

Nufletch Light Test

G5 Quest Primal 70# limbs 29" draw

Easton FMJ 400 spine 28"

Regular Built Arrow Nufletch Built Arrow

Total Weight grains 451 Total Weight grains 512
    FOC% 10.77 FOC% 4.54
    1 Speed @65# 263 1 Speed @65# 247
    2 Speed @65# 261 2 Speed @65# 247
    3 Speed @65# 262 3 Speed @65# 246
    Average @65# 262 Average @65# 246.7
    KE @65# 68.7 KE @65# 69.1
    1 Speed @71# n/a 1 Speed @71# 256
    2 Speed @71# n/a 2 Speed @71# 253
    3 Speed @71# n/a 3 Speed @71# 255
    Average @71# n/a Average @71# 254.7
    KE @71# n/a KE @71# 73.7

Notes from shooting 1 Nufletch arrow with 2 Regular arrows @65# draw
    20 yards all 3 grouped together with Nufletch through other arrows vane
    30 yards 2 regular arrows together and Nufletch about 2" directly lower
    40 yards 2 regular arrows together and Nufletch about 3.5" directly below
    50 yards 2 regular arrows together and Nufletch about 6" directly below

Notes from shooting 1 Nufletch arrow alone @71# draw
    20 yards right on with existing pin setting
    30 yards about 1" lower than existing pin setting
    40 yards about 2.5" lower than exisiting pin setting
    50 yards about 4.5" lower than existing pin setting

Overall, I am not switching to the Nufletch system for my set up because even though I can gain 5 ftlbs of KE; I lose 8 ft/sec of speed. This results in a bigger spread between my pins. There are more similar cost option for me to get the same or better results.

Just looking at the Nufletch system by itself, it does fly very well. The fit and finish is top notch. I did not see any flight issues with the FOC of 4%, but I did not shoot any fixed blade broadheads to confirm. It would be interesting to test the system on a much lighter arrow. Mine are 10.2 grains per inch. There maybe more benefit on similar spine arrows that are around 8 or less grains per inch.

If you were building a completely new rig, there would be no issue with using this product from the start.

2. SOIL hunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jared, very detailed info and good useful information. Thanks for taking the time to do that!

4. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great post. Helps out an archery tackle beginner like myself.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest issue I see here is the FOC with the NuFletch. At less than 5% you're way under what most bowhunters would consider acceptable. I would be very interested to see how your arrows fly and group with broadheads at those same distances. Any notes on pentration? I'd be intersted to know how the NF performed being heavier, but having a very low FOC.

6. SOIL hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did notice it penetrated about 1 inch deeper into the worn out spiderweb target. Which it should have with 1 KE more at the same draw weight.

I was shooting 125 grain field points and the heaviest fixed blade broad heads I have are 100. I can shoot it and see what happens. It would be pretty close to 1% or less FOC. Didn't really want to buy 125 fixed blades to test with after I had already decided the product wasn't for me.

Look for 100 grain BH test results later this week.

7. SOIL hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting my hands on a couple Axis 400s to test with as well (9.0 gr./in). I spoke with nufletch today and they recommended paper tuning once the nufletch is installed.

I am also playing single dad (3.5 year old and 1.5 year old) this week as my wife is out of town. I probably won't be able to do any testing until this weekend. So look for updated results next week.

8. SOIL hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the delay. I had decided to wait until after season to do any more testing and tinkering with my bow.

So, I finished up broad head tuning this afternoon and looked at the Easton FMJ with the Nufletch on the end. I decided to screw on a 100 grain Magnus Stinger that was too light to tune with on both the FMJ's and my current CX Crush. Shot low and left on both arrows.

I release a shot at 20 yards. Bullseye! That was odd let's try again. Bullseye! I repeat 2 shots each at 30 and 40 yards and all 4 were dead on target. I also could not see the arrows wagging at all. At 40 yards with any arrow I've shot with broad heads, I could always see the arrow wagging. This one just looked solid.

Now, I wish I would have shot those broad heads during the original testing. I would have just ordered Nufletch rather than buying different arrows.

My theory behind these new results is the whole point of proper FOC for broad heads is all about giving the light end of the arrow a significant lever arm to steer the arrow. With Nufletch, I don't think FOC is a concern because of the weight on the tail end. It no longer needs the longer lever arm. Now I do think there is a limit to this. If you were building dangerous game arrows at over 600+ grains then FOC would come back into play.

I will definitely using Nufletch next year when I'm building Elk hunting arrows.

9. SOIL hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the delay. I had decided to wait until after season to do any more testing and tinkering with my bow.

So, I finished up broad head tuning this afternoon and looked at the Easton FMJ with the Nufletch on the end. I decided to screw on a 100 grain Magnus Stinger that was too light to tune with on both the FMJ's and my current CX Crush. Shot low and left on both arrows.

I release a shot at 20 yards. Bullseye! That was odd let's try again. Bullseye! I repeat 2 shots each at 30 and 40 yards and all 4 were dead on target. I also could not see the arrows wagging at all. At 40 yards with any arrow I've shot with broad heads, I could always see the arrow wagging. This one just looked solid.

Now, I wish I would have shot those broad heads during the original testing. I would have just ordered Nufletch rather than buying different arrows.

My theory behind these new results is the whole point of proper FOC for broad heads is all about giving the light end of the arrow a significant lever arm to steer the arrow. With Nufletch, I don't think FOC is a concern because of the weight on the tail end. It no longer needs the longer lever arm. Now I do think there is a limit to this. If you were building dangerous game arrows at over 600+ grains then FOC would come back into play.

I will definitely using Nufletch next year when I'm building Elk hunting arrows.

10. SOIL hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to put it down earlier. The FOC with the 100 grain Magnus stinger and the Nufletch FMJ was 0.5%