How many people only hunt with a bow? No gun.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by scarps23, Nov 9, 2011.

?

Do you hunt deer with a gun?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Absoulety not. Only bow for me

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally have gun hunted for awhile. Just started bow hunting this year. Bow hunting is by far my favorite already and I've only shot a doe. I feel like many bow hunters seem to hold themselves in a higher regard to gun hunters. Bow hunting is much tougher than using a gun. That is clear. Using a re curve bow is much tougher than compound too.

I'm curious to see how many people are against deer hunting with guns or if I'm just reading into peoples comments. I would agree that in general most bow hunters are going to be much better hunters, but not always.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At the moment, I only bow hunt, but that is because I only own a bow. I'm not opposed to rifle hunting. I've killed many deer with a rifle.

3. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do 98% of my hunting with the bow. It sure is tough sometimes knowing I could bag some slammers if I had something that could reach 20 more yards or so.

The rewarding part about bowhunting during the gun seasons is while I'm at the check in station and they ask me which weapon...I gladly say "Bow!"

I will take the rifle out a couple times a year (usually when I hunt with my dad). I really enjoy it because I can take a break. No carrying a bunch of gear or any of that crap. Just go in and sit down. Bowhunting is hard work and sometimes I need a break. :)

4. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto... I just like to take a break a little more than a couple of times ;)

5. 650Brute

650Brute Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm not tagged out by rifle season, I go... With a rifle. It's the one week a year my Dad and I camp together. Otherwise, I have my PSE at my side.

If I've already got a buck by the rifle opener, we still hunt & camp, I'm just along for the ride or take a doe.

6. tc3144

tc3144 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm strictly bowhunting these days for whitetails. I haven't gun hunted here in Illinois for the past 10 years. I guess part of the reason is I don't have a piece of property to gun hunt on and the private ground I bowhunt on is over run w gun hunters. Just seems like there is so many of them anymore. Then again, I think I'm just addicted to bowhunting period!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

7. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer: only bow... Coyotes: gun, bow, throwing knives, daggers

8. mads10bass

mads10bass Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love bow hunting and can not stand rifle hunting myself. But I love shotgun hunting just as much as bow hunting.

9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only predator hunt with a rifle. Big game is bow only for me at the mo. Just don't get a kick out of taking the bang stick anymore. Have only took my deer rifle out of the safe once in the past 4 years.

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love to gun hunt ... muzzleloader, shotgun, handgun... it has it's place in my heart for many reasons ....

11. OutbackRyno

OutbackRyno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bow only for me. Way to many people gun hunt. I have a couple good bow only pg areas around. In gun season thats where youll find me.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

12. PCOutfitters

PCOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started hunting with a rifle and din't pick up a bow until my 5th season or so of hunting. I'd say I feel more accomplished when i take a deer with a bow, but that's not taking away anything from rifle hunting either. My favorite type of hunting has to be upland birds when i'm working my dog. I feel accomplished no matter what, knowing I trained her myself. The best feeling is when she points and retrieves perfectly for someone else i'm hunting with. I feel like a proud parent! But i'm sure by the time I have kids and they get their first deer with a bow, it will top any other feeling of accomplishment I've had in my life up to that point.

13. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing I still enjoy taking with a gun is turkeys.. . Except my rifle coming out for PA bear season last year, it's the first time my rifle came out since the 90's.. Other than perhaps PA bear, I doubt I ever take another big game animal with anything but a bow.

14. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love gun hunting. This thread could get good.

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In MN I only bowhunt, but I hunt the WI rifle season.

16. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to rifle hunt when I lived in MO, but now that I live in Iowa i'm switching to bow hunting since you can only hunt doe with a rifle the final antler less season if the quota is not met. I love my rifle though, nothing like being able to make a 100+ yard shot on a deer. It is defiantly easier in a lot of ways, mainly not having to draw a deer close. But when you start making 100+ yard shots,
    it is challenging and a lot of fun. I really don't like shotgun, and never tried a muzzle loader.

17. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do almost all my deer hunting with a bow, but I will take out .44 revolver during rifle season and shoot a doe. I just think it is awesome to drop a doe where she stands with a big handgun :tu:

18. Cobane

Cobane Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started off gun hunting but I don't get the same adrenaline rush when i gun hunt as i do when i bow hunt.

19. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy using handguns & shotguns for deer.

For a while I got caught up not caring for gun season much, but it was due more to the craziness of it all, rather than the weapong of use. I went to handgun hunting and that rekindled my excitement. If I lived in a state where "gun season" wasn't a crazy circus, I would do even more gun hunting.

20. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is only my second season of hunting. Last season I hunted them all. Took one with a rifle and one with a shot gun. Both were my dads guns so it was cool to call him and say I got one with your gun dad. The shot gun has only one deer kill on it and thats mine. me and both one of my brother have a gun kill with his 30-30 now. I grew up shooting and reloading guns with my dad and love to shoot them but, there is just something about bows that I absolutely love. I love to shoot them carry them, hold them look at them. You could say I am addicted to both bows and bowhunting.

This season and probably from here on out will be bow only for me. When I get to the point I am too old to use a bow (meaning my body wont let me) I will probably use xbow. I feel this season I have become a much better hunter having to get as close as you do to be successful with a bow. I personally measure success on the stand by how many times I can have deer in range and not get busted. So far Ive been 100% successful this season.