My take on the Rage Broadhead

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rickmur, Oct 10, 2010.

1. rickmur

rickmur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It sucks! This is the 2nd time I have tried these heads and am more disappointed this time than last. I shot a doe Saturday morning at dawn. The distance was 32 yrds. I had a lighted nock and saw my arrow strike tight behind the shoulder with the arrow staying in the deer. I found 3 inches of the arrow with the nock still light 25 yrds the direction she went. Found no blood for another 10 yrds or so and just spots at that. I found the rest of the arrow about another 60 yrds or so. The insert was not with the arrow. The arrow had worked itself out leaving the broadhead in the deer I suppose. I followed blood spots for I'd say 300 or more yrds. This was all over the course of 4 hours. My contention is the head did not open. Whatever happened I know if I had used the Tight Point broadheads I have been using for years my dear would have been recovered in 40-50 yrds. I have 2 heads left, anyone want them?

2. HenriettasFinest

HenriettasFinest Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can send them my way

3. polarisfctyrcr13

polarisfctyrcr13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree they suck. I personally shoot thunderhead 100's. My buddy shoots the Rage. We just lost a deer last night he shot it at 15 yeards broadside. Didn't get a pass through and not one spot of blood that we could find anywhere in the area. It sucks.

4. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am shooting them this year, hope i have better luck than you.
    fell free to send them to me.
    sorry for your bad experience with them.

5. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm started shooting them this year as well and I'm thinking of using up my other two (unshot) and going back to Muzzy. The arrow barely passed thru the doe I shot earlier this week and I can't stand not getting a passthru.

6. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look guys.... Call rage boarheads toll free number and tell them what happen! We give 100% money back if you do not find your game. May I ask if you put rubberbands around the tip of the head to keep them from opening in the quiver? If so that's not what the broadhead is designed for. Feel free to pm me if you want more info or if you want rages number ill help ya out

7. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have yet to have a non pass through. yet to have one open in flight. and havnt had anything less than stellar blood trails.
    I shot a little doe a few years back with a Montec,, I sharpen all my heads out of the box, so it was shaving sharp. Watched the arrow bury itself in the deer. never found her. looked for a long time. its the only archery deer i have lost. I think sometimes it just happens, no matter whats on your arrow.

8. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't vouch for their killing power, but their customer service was great.

I smacked two of my practice heads together and cracked one, called them and they (Amy) told me to send it in. Did, sent one and got three back.

Wish my investments did as well.

9. DrawrofBackward

DrawrofBackward Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think they are the best heads on the market. No matter what head you shoot, if the shot placement is off, you're done. The RAGE offers a little extra "breathing room" if you will, when it comes to placement. I have only shot 1 deer with them but my brother and all of his friends shoot the rage and they've killed MANY deer with them.

10. polarisfctyrcr13

polarisfctyrcr13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yea i think it's a hate it or love it type thing. My buddy has shot 7 deer with them. Only 2 pass throughs and 2 lost out of that seven. Out of the 5 retrieved only one was found in a reasonable distance. The other 4 ran like banshees.

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I cant see the Rage NOT opening on impact. They open almost to easy even when in the quiver, hence I use orthadontist rubber bands to help keep them closed. I have only taken one shot that they didnt perform, and it was way my bad. All other shots ( 9 total) with the Rage 2 blade that went where it was supposed to, was flawless and very bloody! I also think that if a field point was to double lung a Deer it would be dead,,,but thats Illegal! :)

12. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My take on rage broadheads....

Accurate:

[​IMG]

Deadly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even when the shot is less than perfect:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just sayin' they work for me. :)

13. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, let's be serious here.....

It's all about shot placement, and if you're not getting pass-throughs, then you're hitting the WRONG spot. Now don't get me wrong, because I'm not a big fan of the Rage. But seriously, if we put a FP in the right spot, the deer WILL die. Now if you make a poor judgement call on tracking an animal that is less than optimally hit, you may have poor outcomes, but that is more your fault than the BH's, because you didn't put the arrow where it should have been, then you didn't make a good choice in tracking.

Last year, I peaked, and paunch hit a doe, also got a little lung and liver, but mostly paunch (I knew I did it immediately, retrieved my arrow after about 30minutes and got out). I came back 6 hours later, tracked her for 300-350yds or doe, could smell her (more urine smell than rotten gut), found her still alive, bumped her out of her bed, she ran about 50yds. I left, found her in that second bed dead as could be in the morning. You have to make good decisions to have GOOD recoveries.

Exception on those non-pass-throughs is guys shooting too low of an energy, and again if you're shooting a 55# bow at 27" DL, then you don't have any business shooting a RAGE, you need to stick with a good FIXED blade BH. Many of our failures are our OWN FAULT!!! Be that in lack of tuning, poor decision making, poor shot selection, bad decisions in tracking etc. The most important thing we can do when we have these "failures" is LEARN from them, and change our approach the next time!!! Hunt smart, hunt hard....:tu:

14. DrawrofBackward

DrawrofBackward Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think a lot of people look to blame a less than ideal shot on something other than themselves, so the gear becomes and easy target.

How could the Rage NOT work ? It's a 2" cut from a strong head......Even when the shot is off, the Rage comes through.

My conclusion is that bad shots look to blame everything but themselves.

15. polarisfctyrcr13

polarisfctyrcr13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yea hard to say that my buddies shots are bad shots when the deer he has recovered have been good shots. In my opinion they don't work great. If they work for others great.

16. coondawg91

coondawg91 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    mister I will ease your pain you cand send them two broadheads my way I will gladly take them.

17. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What part is "strong"?

18. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The part where you completely sever (sp?) the spine and all you have to do is replace dull, slightly bend blades.... :p

[​IMG]

19. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a doe a couple weeks ago with a Rage, and I found her within 50 yards. She bled like crazy, and I got a complete pass through. Actually, I had to pull my arrow out of the ground

20. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For the most part you are right but..... check this out
    http://ragebroadheads.com/Products/40-KE-Broadhead.php

This BH is made for the smaller framed people. KIDS WIFES even LITTLE GUYS.... the 40ke is very deadly

I love my Titanium 2 Blade Broadhead