Bow selection help.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AK907, Nov 30, 2009.

1. AK907

AK907 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad Is interested in getting a bow now after seeing me shoot my whitetail. We went into Sportsmans Warehouse and the 1st one he shot was an alpine.( kinda a cheap bow by the looks and the price) We went in again and he shot a diamond Razor Edge. He liked the diamond because it was easier to pull back and alot smoother. That being said the alpine was 60lb draw weight and the diamond was only set at 33lbs. Ive heard that the razor edge is a womens and youth bow but I've also heard of guys using them on sheep hunts because they are light and compact. The diamond goes up to 60 lb draw weight and draw length up to 29 inches. I think he would be shooting about 28 inch draw. What are some opinions. He wants a good quality bow but doesnt want to throw 600 bucks down on one. Any Advise?

2. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go over to Back Country Archery on Arctic Blvd and see Bill Cypher. That guy has forgotten more about archery than the two of us together will probably ever know. See what he's got for used bows and/or at least get your dad to shoot everything that he can so that he at least learns what he likes and dislikes in a bow. Also be sure to dial the Razor Edge up to a weight he intends to shoot so that you're comparing apples to apples against the Alpine.

3. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have friend that did exactly as you just said. His draw is under 29 and he wasn't planning on shooting greater than 60 pounds. I recomended the Razor Edge and he loves it.

4. AK907

AK907 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im taking him back to shoot the diamond with 60lb draw weight. Might get the bow only... the outfitter package has plastic sights and rest on it. We're gonna keep looking. He wants to try and shoot a Martin as well.

5. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good bet there. The accessories that come with it are plastic crap that wouldn't last an afternoon in the field up here, you'd end up replacing them anyway. It is an impressive bow.