Not one deer seen in 4 sits?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ernmcburn, Dec 1, 2015.

1. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted 2 different spots according to the wind over corn piles, and have seen 0 deer. I checked the camera and 1 little sickly deer. I tried a powdered attractant and still no deer. I hunted morning and night. I can't move my blinds. The way I'm going right now it's looking like I won't even get a doe. What do I do?

2. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go find where the deer are. Learn to scout sign and setup accordingly. Don't rely on cameras, bait piles, or magic attractants to kill deer.

3. NwBowhunter

NwBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could you get some google earth screenshots of your hunting location? Would help a lot too see how much woods you hunt and such. When did you start hunting this spot? How much woods are around you?

4. ernmcburn

Dislikes Received:
    Like I already said I am unable to move my blinds, I am 14 and my uncle sets up everything and I have no say in it.

5. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you making any noise? Coughing or anything like that? You don't have to sit in a blind either. Could set up somewhere else and make a natural blind for cover. If you find an area with a lot of tracks that's a great sign. Make a ground blind with what ever you find laying around broken branches and such. The deer may not trust the area with the pile of corn and only hit it at night.

6. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you making any noise? Coughing or anything like that? You don't have to sit in a blind either. Could set up somewhere else and make a natural blind for cover. If you find an area with a lot of tracks that's a great sign. Make a ground blind with what ever you find laying around broken branches and such. The deer may not trust the area with the pile of corn and only hit it at night.

7. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just stay positive if you have no other option as far as moving locations ect, it can be very difficult to keep going out and seeing nothing but some of the best advice I have ever got is that "5 min can change you whole outlook on a season or a piece of land"
    Gotta keep hunting to make it happen.

8. Bobby_OA

Bobby_OA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scout and figure out where the deer are. If they aren't coming to corn day or night then they probably have a solid food source near by. Find it and you'll find deer. Good luck and don't give up, its called hunting not killing for a reason.

9. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im glad you are hunting, and yes, I am also glad that you are not seeing anything....let me explain. You are 14, no offense, but you are of the generation that wants it now and fast. I don't blame you, it's the world in which we live now. And it has even trickled into bowhunting. TV and the internet have been a bad influence to some degree. Understand this, you are not seeing deer, yet you are still going, that speaks volumes about your will and passion. You will have many chances over your lifetime God willing, and the ones you get you will appreciate that much more because of what you are experiencing now. Trust me, many of us that have been doing this for many years can and will agree with me. Sometimes you just gotta earn your stripes bud. Please don't take this as criticism, I remember being 14 and all I wanted was to kill one deer, didn't care what it was. 26 years later and roughly 200 deer later, I still find myself saying "just one deer" ...take your time and learn, you will be the hunter you dream about right now before you know it.

10. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure of what the ground you hunt looks like. If you have dead falls or any kind of natural spot to make a ground blind, it is a good way to change things up. Do a little looking around and see if you can tell where they are coming from or going to. It don't take long to find out what they are doing. Are you more north or south? Are there ag fields near you or on the property you hunt? It is getting the time of year here in Missouri that they will start staying close to the food. It is still mild but as soon as it gets cold it is all about food. If the does are going to the food the bucks will follow. Like Va said, you are young, hang in there. You are definitely showing the ability to keep at it even when it isn't going like you want it to.
    I've deer hunted for a little over 20 years now. I've learned to enjoy every trip to the woods even if I don't see a deer. There is something to take away from each trip. I'm sure that isn't any comfort right now but it will be.

11. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hang in there and enjoy being able to be out there.
    Good luck.

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds to me like those are blinds are set up where your uncle wants them to be not where the deer want to be. You'll never see deer if they don't want to be there.

13. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unless he tells you where you have to sit you don't have to sit in those blinds. I would do some low key scouting and set up on the ground. Are you able to use a small hand saw or some small cutters? Or does your uncle not want you to hunt anywhere but in the blinds?

14. ernmcburn

Dislikes Received:
    I could probably do that, my dad has hedge cutters and that's it. I might have an idea. Last night I hunted a blind above a corn field. One of my uncles friends saw a nice 8 point come to the corn field from my area. Maybe if he travels there often I could set up on the ground. Maybe that will work. What do you think?

15. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds way better than sitting in a blind seeing nothing. Watch the wind and set up close to the field and brush yourself in well. If you happen to see some deer come out then you can go from there. Just don't go barging in somewhere and blow the deer out. Take your time and be patient. It might take a couple days of observation to figure out the right place to hunt.

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bait Piles and sick looking deer. Ummm yeah.

17. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said, do some minimal intrusive scouting. Go mix it up and sit on the ground in some different locations. Put the pieces of the puzzle together based on what you see. IMO would be better than stuck in a blind where there arent' any deer. You'll actually be learning how to hunt them. Watch the wind and good luck. Above everything else, enjoy it and have fun trying. The reward of getting it done the way you want to will be that much more gratifying.