To plot or not?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by jasamb08, Nov 29, 2015.

1. jasamb08

jasamb08 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Rough season here for me not seeing hardly any good deer. I hunt a 20 acre woods that is 200 yards wide at the most. Surrounded by all sides with crops and a crewk that runs out 1 corner. I am considering planting a small food plot for the late season. It seems that all the deer stop using my woods come late season. Would a plot that was like 50 X50 make that big of a difference and what should I plant if so. I have no access with machinery so its my push mower and my hand tools. Thoughts

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A food source in a sanctuary/safe area can be a very good thing. A rake to scuff up the soil will work well in most places. Checking the soil for ph and other levels is important. Adding lime and/or fertilizer will help not only your crops but the additional minerals can be great to assist antler growth.

3. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the same way, I've wanted to out a small plot in. It would probably be about the same size as yours. I've wanted to try it for a few years now.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

4. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you could make the plot as big as you can would be great, the deer would wipe out brassicas pretty fast with a plot that small, I would plant winter rye and maybe add some turnips to it. Also big bucks love thick sanctuaries in the winter where they feel safe and can escape the harsh winters better. If I where to plant one seed thought for winter it would be winter rye, the deer love the stuff by me and will dig through the snow to get at it.