Hunt or don't hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ernmcburn, Nov 27, 2015.

1. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow afternoon it's supposed to be a 70% chance of rain. Is it worth it to go? Because even if I go and shoot I will not have a great chance of finding blood. What do you guys think?

2. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends how bad you want to hunt. You certainly won't kill anything sitting at home.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

3. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No problem going hunting in something like this, but you must be prepared for a grid tracking job as you already said tracking would be poor.

Don't go unless you plan on spending extra time looking for a deer if you don't find it. Shouldn't go in these conditions if you don't have time to track and take extra time with others if needed.

With that said, I would be more selective on a hunt in these conditions.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you hunt in the rain a couple tips.

1) Only take high percentage shots for quick clean kills. Last thing you want is a risky shot turning into a gut shot. Which could be a nightmare in the rain since blood is usually sparse on those types of shots.

2) Always watch the deer as long as you can after the shot and take note of everything. I know we should always do that, but it is extra important any chance you might lose the blood. Too many times guys come on here asking for advice and can't answer questions like where was it hit, how did it act at the shot, how did it act while running away, etc. You will always need this info, but it is especially important if blood gets washed away to make a tracking plan.

As mentioned do not hunt in the rain unless you can dedicate extra time. Sometimes it is an easy track, sometimes not. You need to be prepared in case it's not.

5. Bobby_OA

Bobby_OA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Weather changes all the time. Depends on how bad you want to get out in the woods. Many times the hunt right before or after a storm rolls in are the best so if it were me I'd go. Worst case scenario you get out in the woods and get a little wet. There is a 100% chance you won't kill anything at home. (I hope!)