Lifeline for public land?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by C.J., Nov 27, 2015.

1. C.J.

C.J. Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys,

I just recently got into bow hunting and want to be as safe as possible while hunting out of my hang-on stand. My question is this:

Since I setup on Public land with a hang on stand and climbing sticks, is it necessary to utilize a lifeline? While I'm initially setting up the stand I would utilize a lineman's rope. From there I would transition straight to my safety harness/rope. Are lifeline's necessary for a stand that you aren't leaving out multiple days?

Thanks,

2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like climbing without a lineman's rope so after the first trip up the lifeline is up. When the stand comes down the lifeline comes down.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are setting up and taking down the same day a lifeline isn't going to be much help unless you plan to climb down and back up that day or return to that same tree another day.. Otherwise wear your harness and be as safe as you can. I do it a lot with my Lone Wolf stand and sticks to stay mobile on public land. I use my lineman's belt while setting up and transition to a tree strap once the stand is up.

4. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's really what your comfortable with.
    My wife is not comfortable without one so I use it on her sets.
    I clip on at the top of my ladder, I always keep three points of contact.

5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a very similar dilemma. I hunt public land too and I leave my stand up but take my steps with me when I come and go. If I were to leave a lifeline hanging, it would probably get cut or not be there (along with my stand) the next time I go out. I have tried using a linemans belt when going up and down the tree but I end up getting hung up on my steps and have to clip and unclip to get around branches.

I want to be hooked in at all times but find it quite difficult. I'll be watching this thread to see what others do.

6. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Roll up the life line up to the last step you take out and hang it from that step. I usually remove the last 5 step and roll up my life line and pull up rope and hang it from step number six. That's usually high enough to where no one can reach it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

7. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I hang a stand I like to use two tree ropes. I use one for the line men's belt and the other as a tree tether. After I hang the last stick, I tie on to the tree with it. Hang the stand. Undo linemen belt and climb in.

I hang and leave so every one of my stands has a lifeline.

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To get into more detail as to how I switch from ladder to stand. I use the muddy lineman's belt as my tree tether. It basically a short lifeline.
    I hook up on the ladder then step on to the stand and just slide the line up to where I want it after I'm in the stand.
    I also only pull my bottom 2 sticks.

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive used 2 linesmans belts on trees with alot of branches to go around. It is very tedious and cumbersome but i was SAFE. Unhook one belt and go around branch and reattach then repeat with second belt. I dont own lifeline yet but hope to soon

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I setup in one trip so the Lifeline is of no value. I ended up buying a second linesmen belt so I am always attached as I go over limbs and what not. I also use the second linesmen belt as a tree strap so I am not caring anymore gear then I was before.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^

12. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only use a tree harness. just too much stuff to carry back in 2 miles. all the ropes, belts, hooks, tethers all adds up to weight and bulk. for me it's all about weight. heck the tree harness is heavy enough. I'm not against safety by all means. I often wonder how many people say they do all this stuff just to be politically correct on this forum and never practice it? I hope everyone is practicing what they are preaching. i f i hunted flat farmland it would be easy to do all the safety stuff but mountainous terrain is just a much more vigorous feat. oh yeah and i can't use fourwheelers or utv to get in either.

13. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This^^.

Lifelines are meant for more permanent stands. Just make sure you are connected and maintain three points of contact with the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It would be so easy if people were honest and didn't steal things.
    The word is that most people who fall out of tree stands do so getting in or out.
    I try and do whatever I can to be as secure as possible in hunting out of a tree.

(and this is coming from a house painter where I spend every day going up and down ladders.)

15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use a variation of this if I am leaving my stand for more than a day. I also have been known to take my top stick as well so no one can make the jump from my sticks to my stand in case they were able to get up the tree somehow.

Of course if someone is really determined and/or comfortable using the 1 stick method, then I guess I'm SOL, but you do what you can...

16. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, once you're in the tree the only need for a life line is climbing down and back up. so long as your tied to the tree a life line isn't required. Like others have pointed out. the less you have to carry in the better. In my opinion, a life line isn't the easiest thing to set up.

17. Bobby_OA

Bobby_OA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Based on what you described a lifeline doesn't seem like it would add much, but a safety harness is a must.