Great Info here... Any hunters back in AZ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by azcoyote, Nov 27, 2015.

1. azcoyote

azcoyote Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So as a new bow hunter I have watched a lot of the show and done a lot of research. I am getting my skills up to snuff with practice and training. One thing that I have found tough so far is that a majority of the info for BH is related to tree stand hunting in areas with deciduous (leafy) trees. The desert and mesas of AZ don't have a lot of those types of terrain (although the image of a stand on a Saguaro cactus is amusing). The public land structure of AZ also makes it very tough to get alone time with deer unlike all the areas in the show that are private or lease plots.

The one thing I always see from AZ forums is GLASS, GLASS, GLASS then follow up with a stalk. I would love to see how people are blind hunting in AZ for deer. Are they getting the same results on grunts and rattles as the tree hunters in IL, OH, etc??

Any AZ hunters on this forum? If so, where are you forest hunting?

Thanks,
    W

2. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I would be very careful sitting down in that stand. Remember to look on the southwest forum on this site. It might helpyou find an Az. hunter. Good luck with your growth as a bow hunter.

3. MorganRR

MorganRR Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have bow hunted a southern az practically my whole life for huge muleys and the best success I had with blinds was over water sources about mid mornings and with the rut coming up there is no true way of patterning them but that would be my suggestion

4. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't help out much, but I'll be down there in a few weeks to try my hand at a muley or coues.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

5. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heading to unit 10 in a few weeks blinds and pine tree stands for mule deer diy ovc first time in the west :thewave:

6. azcoyote

azcoyote Newb

Dislikes Received:
    IS that the Kaibab? I am thinking about a run at Unit 22 near the wilderness areas.

7. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes we will be hunting the Kaibab forest We rented a cabin from Dec 18 to the 31 we will be in the southeast corner of the unit. My son and his family are in Phoenix They are forcing me do go to his house on Christmas LOL