Havalon Knives

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by IABowHunter7, Nov 25, 2015.

1. IABowHunter7

IABowHunter7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,
    I am looking for a new knife primarily used for field dressing and skinning deer. I am looking at Havalon knives because of the blade sharpness. However, the only negatives I have seen is that blades break easily. Has anyone had experience with these knives field dressing deer? Which model do you prefer, Baracuta or Piranta?

Thanks!

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been using these knives for a long time. I've never broke a blade. You will want the Piranta for field dressing and skinning. The Baracuta is to big. I use the Baracuta mainly for processing game and filleting fish.

3. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Used a Havalon this year to break down and bone an elk I shot in Sept and only broke two blades - completely my fault because I got to western with it and put the blade in a bind. If you take your time and don't get in an unneeded hurry, they are just fine. Just get the thickest blades available, the 60A's I think?

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you can use just a knife, they are great. If you are going to use a multi tool they are not what you want. As has been said very brittle.