My season so far.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sticknstringarchery, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, many people think that working in the industry we are able to hunt any time we want and it's a glamorous life filled with hunting stories and archery tournaments. Some of it is truer than others but, since the beginning of this year I have traveled more for work than I have my entire professional career. It was the ATA followed by Vegas, then the NFAA Indoor Nationals. After that we set up at 3D tournaments after tournaments and by the time hunting season got here I wasn't even half way prepared. I actually didn't even pull my stands this off season. Having time to visit the forum has been extremely rare much less post any posts.

When season started I was in the stand opening morning and didn't see anything. I hunted a decent amount in comparison to seasons past. After 8 sits of seeing nothing I was so desperate I went out and bought a feeder. I never feed deer and this was the first time for a feeder. I still saw nothing.

I decided I would head out to a different property that I own to get a little change of pace. I scouted it 2 weeks before and knew where I was setting up. On a very small pond surpunded by oaks. At this point I decided the first deer that stepped in front of me was getting an arrow. Well, it did. I tracked it an lost blood. Eventually me and 3 others searched for this doe for 4 hours and found her floating in a creek. It was a fun hunt and the longest, hardest tracking job I've had so far.

Fast forward 2 weeks and it really has gotten interesting. I had the biggest buck I've ever seen in front of me 2 times and no shot. The first time he was too far out with way to much brush between us. The second time he came hauling in and turned broadside at 20 yards only to have a sapling I missed trimming lanes between me and a buck buck down post.

Sunday I had more does than I've seen all season in front of me and didn't want to take one just yet as I am hoping one of them brings the big guy past me.

I had planned on a lot of hunting this week but, my aunt past away suddenly and a repeat of 14 years ago (grandad past the Friday before Thanksgiving also) took us to Indiana to lay her to rest. Now I'm riding in the back of a rental about to take over the drive and thinking about when I'm going to be back in the stand.

Looks like Friday, Saturday and Sunday I'll be hunting and I plan on putting down at least another doe.

It's been a difficult season so far but, if it ended now, I'd be happy to have had the opportunity to be in a stand and family to eat the deer I have taken.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Life is precious. Good luck hunting.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear of the unexpected passing of your family member. Sounds like you've had an exciting season even though you haven't shot your target deer. Keep after it.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss.
    Hope you to continue to have a good hunting season.