Trail cameras for bear hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by the wanderer, Nov 24, 2015.

1. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I finally did it. I applied for my Wisconsin zone B harvest permit for 2016. I have 10 preference points. Which, for the 2015 draw results yielded a 100% chance that I will draw my tag. My buddy will be applying with 10 points as well. We will be hunting at his uncles cabin in Wabeno where his dad has killed two bears previously. Luckily, both of our dads are retired and will be able to bait for us. This will be my first experience with baiting for bears. I plan on having two different bait sites for myself and I would like to have trail cameras on both to know what size bears are visiting the bait sites. Unfortunately, I don't own any cameras as all of my deer hunting properties (private and public) are not safe enough places to risk placing a camera and having it stolen. The area I will be bear hunting will be safe enough. With all that being said, what cameras would everyone recommend? Keeping in mind I have to be budget conscious. What are the best cameras for the cheapest price?

Also, I would appreciate any advice on baiting and bear hunting as this will be my first time.

Can anyone recommend a taxidermist in that area? Antigo has three listed

Thanks

2. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To protect your cameras , I would do the same (and have) as I do in my whitetail woods. Put the cameras up 10 ft angled down. For thieves, it's out of their line of sight, same for bears. Yes, I understand perfectly well that bears climb trees but I have yet to have a bear pay any attention to a camera mounted this way.

3. NwBowhunter

NwBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stealth Cam G30!! Best Camera for the price! (The Camera, and a 32gb Sandisk Card was $119 On Amazon!) Good Nighttime pictures and daytime! They make bear boxes for them too!

4. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like Cuddeback myself for the money. You can get some great quality cams and safe's on eBay for short money.

Great picture quality and video option as well.

Sent from my iPhone

5. Freelance Bowhunter

Freelance Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    stay away from flash cams!!.

staelthcam g42ngs take good bear pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Freelance Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like deer, bears are individuals and some seem to be nervous around white flash cameras and others will stay at the bait and have 40 flash pictures taken of them. I have used both and I think if you put flash cameras up high, you rarely have a bear that shies away from a flash camera. But like I said, every bear is different. I go into a lot of detail on this in my book on bear baiting. That's just my opinion, but I have tens of thousands of photos of bears at baits both with flash and without.

Here is a video of a bear at a bait with the flash on video. Go figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQMxM1r5wY

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As long as it is protected in a bear proof cage, it's whatever works for you. I have a lot of cameras and some of the least expensive, take the best pictures. As to baiting, sweet and smelly.

9. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most times, bears will not pay any attention to the cameras at bait sites... they are too busy with all the food.

They only times bears destroyed my cameras was at salt lick.

I also only tie them with bungees, that way when they pull on the camera, it just falls, and doesn't get broken...

10. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I recommend setting your camera on video mode. Takes a little longer to go through all of the videos when you are checking it, but you get a good sense of where the bears walk in from, and a better sense of size.

I've never had any problems with bears messing with my cameras, but my buddy has lost three of them now. Told him he needs to invest in a bear box.

When baiting, I make sure I do everything as close to the same every time. I spray myself with skeeter spray so they get used to the scent, check my camera first to avoid getting scent of the bait on it, and always leave the same way I came.

I set my stand up on the same entrance/exit route and I hit the bottom of the bucket as a dinner bell, as well as make some sort of noise by the ladder of the treestand so they get used to that as well. A lot of times bears will only be 75-200 yards from the bait and will come visit the bait shortly after you've been there

11. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for all of the replies. I looked at that Stealth Cam and its on Amazon for $88. Not bad. Does anyone have any advice on judging bears? Also, my dad grows popcorn so I've got plenty of that available to me. I was thinking about making popcorn balls as bait since it would be extremely cheap for me to make. I've also got taffy and fruit roll ups in bulk available to me. Any thoughts on the two options for bait?

12. choppersk61

Dislikes Received:
    I only use waste meat from the local butcher and also cooking oil from the French Fries stands and small restaurants...

Both free and easily available...

That recipe got me 6 bears in 6 years...

13. cj22drake

cj22drake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bear hunt in Canada and popcorn and snack cakes is all they use

14. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    Popcorn is really good bait, but some bears are picky and don't like it if it gets stale, so you will have to figure out if you can make it all at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Freelance Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They like popcorn but there are a couple problems with it. First it isn't very weatherproof, and goes stale or turns to mush when it rains. Secondly, it doesn't fill them up, which is very important. You want something that the bears will eat until they are full, then go sleep it off nearby. The fruit roll ups will be good, but you need a wide variety of baits because bears are individuals and some prefer one bait over another. It's hard to beat pastries for keeping them coming back over and over. But pastries and sweets alone will only hold them for a couple weeks, that's why you need variety. What they do in Canada usually won't work well here in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan.

I use meat/beef trimmings only once the bait is getting hit consistently, because it spoils quickly in hot weather and then it ruins your bait. Meat of any kind is not allowed in Wisconsin.

Like I said, I hate to toot my own horn but you really should invest in my book and video. It takes a long time to draw a tag in Wisconsin and it pays to do your homework because it will be a while before you can hunt again. www.bernieoutdoors.com

16. Freelance Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One more thing about popcorn balls, They would be more weatherproof and bears would love them, but a bear can grab one and walk back into the bush to eat it. It's better to have smaller items that they will stay right at the bait to eat, which gives you more shot opportunities.

17. choppersk61

Dislikes Received:
    ''What they do in Canada usually won't work well here in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan.
    ''

Got a kick out of that one...

Bears have no ideas about International boundaries or State lines...

They eat carrion from winter kills, they eat grass early in the spring and whenever they need too then they eat berries fruits and cereals when the season is on.

They also eat lots of bugs and frogs and any mammals they can get their hands on, big and small...

Cooking oil is very efficient not only because of the fact that they like it and it's high energy, their paws get soaked with the oil which in turn leaves a scent trail everywhere they walk, leading other bears straight to your bait.

Unless the American bears walk backward that is... ;o)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  18. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    Poke fun if you want, but he's right. Same as the difference in hunting Iowa deer compared to PA or Alabama deer. Genetically, the same, but different in their behavior and reaction to humans.

Not to mention the difference in legalities regarding baiting/hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. cj22drake

cj22drake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree bears in different areas are going to act and eat differently, but in Canada we baited our sites every sit with a potato sack of popcorn. 4 out of 7 sits I had a bear in front of me digging the popcorn out of the barrel. So just to make it clear and to not get anyone upset, popcorn works in Quebec. As far as anywhere else, I'd say its definitely worth a try.

20. Freelance Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unless they walk backward, then wouldn't the trail of grease on their paws lead the other bears AWAY from the bait? I have used a lot of grease in the past, and of course it works, but there are things that work better. Plus keep in mind that the OP is from Wisconsin, where they have a 10 gallon limit on what they can put out, and grease is part of that limit. That's why grease isn't popular in Wisconsin, at least not much of it.

I have hunted bears all across Canada and the US. Everywhere it is different. Things that work great in Some areas don't work very well in others.