Is this a shooter?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ernmcburn, Nov 24, 2015.

1. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1448423862.083254.jpg And how much would you think he'd score?

2. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    10 out of 10 for best tasting

3. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is this a shooter? You tell me what your first thought was when you saw him...what didi your gut tell you? He'd probably score 90..

4. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never really heard of a 10 pointer scoring 90.. JS

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  5. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Give him a year or couple of years.. Depending on what you are looking for. You asked what he would score and if he is a shooter so Im guessing you are wanting to shoot a large-ish deer.. he isnt "to me" yet. Maybe he is to you...

6. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I didn't look close enough...I shot an 8 pointer last year that had that same basic "basket rack" and he went just over 80...had an inside spread of 12"...the buck in my avatar scored 112 and he's bigger than the one in your photo so maybe he'll be around 100"...I'd still shoot him.

7. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No offense to anyone who posts these but I'm starting to dislike these kind of threads. If you want to shoot him then shoot him, you don't need other people's approval. If think you need someone's approval then maybe you should let him grow.

8. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A score is just a number. I really do not pay attention to a number. Every deer I shoot or pass is relative to my season and my mood.. If I am having a bad season, I will shoot just about anything. If I have had some success, I will pass on certain deer. I bowhunt for a few reasons. 1. (first and foremost) I am a predator who must act on my instincts.
    2. I enjoy eating deer meat
    3. I relish a perfect flying arrow hitting the vitals of a deer (more than anything)
    4. Because God gave me domain over all creeping and crawling things among the earth
    5. Because I can

9. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A shooter according to who? The majority vote of internet people?

10. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it makes you happy it's s shooter, if your constantly going to be wondering about what he could have grown into, let him walk.

11. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my first buck with a bow this year. looked almost identical to this buck. Is he a shooter? I heard him behind me after rattling, turned around and my heart skipped a beat, he went 27 yards and turned north just like I wanted, he came to my lane, I grunted, he stopped, I put the hammer down! went 40 yards and watched him fall. My wife was in a stand 40 yard west of me watching. Is he a shooter? Its an experience I will never forget. He made great jerky, spicy breakfast sausage and burger. We processed it ourselves. I am very proud of my buck. Next year this deer would have got a pass, but his older brother won't. the "shooter' question can only be answered by you.

12. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    if you question it then he is not a shooter. shooters are when you see a deer (buck or doe) and there is no thinking involved you just know. that buck might go 110" at best. I hunt public land and have been passing on some 2.5 yr old bucks with the hopes of them making it through our slaughter of a gun season. and guess what they are making it through and the last couple of years I have been seeing the benefits. it all depends on your goal. blue eye lick 10-2-15 360.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  13. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This ^^^

To answer the the OP's questions...

The buck certainly is a not shooter to me....but why would you care what I would do?

If you are worried about score this is probably a buck you do not want to shoot.

14. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What makes a shooter to other may not be the case to the next guy if you like him and he makes you happy then kill him dont listen to other people do what makes you happy. And on a side note in some areas that's a monster and in some areas that's a small 105" deer

15. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Number of points doesn't necessarily dictate a high scoring rack. I'd guess that deer scores somewhere between 90"-100"...if he makes you happy and gives you a shot opportunity take him, otherwise let him grow. He's got a nice looking frame and is showing good potential as a 2.5 year old. Good luck out there.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shooter or not a shooter. Doesn't really matter what we tell you, it's about what makes you happy and generally depends on where you are as a hunter. At one time, I would have considered him a shooter because I had never killed a buck before, but now he's not even close to what I consider a shooter. That's not a knock on anyone that considers him a shooter, it just shows that everyone is at different stages in their hunting careers. I've passed a few pretty nice bucks this year because I'm hunting for a specific buck that has given me the slip twice this season. In the past, there's no way I would have passed them, but I've been fortunate enough to shoot a couple quality mature bucks, so I will generally pass anything less than and including 3.5 year old bucks.

17. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They're all shooters.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they are all shooters, then you are a killer, not a hunter.

19. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You must watch too much TV. But, you're right...I am a killer. Natural born. I think you have a misunderstanding of what the definition "hunter" is, myself. What I wrote was a short quip that had nothing to do with shooting everything you see, but refers to to the different standards of differing people...and so every deer is a shooter. Sort of a "it's 5 o'clock somewhere".

20. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: