My 10 year drought is over

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Hooker, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So some of you have known me over the years on this forum and others, and I don't think I have ever posted a kill story simply because I have not killed a deer with my bow in over 10 years now and I have never killed a buck with my bow. Life has simply gotten in the way over the years I do not get to hunt as much as I once did.

This year hasn't been any different as yesterday morning was my first hunt of the year. But it turned to be a memorable one as me and my buddy both killed Louisiana public land bucks with our bows, which I believe to be a great accomplishment.

Here is how it happened:

I haven't been able to get to the woods any this year due to weather, sick kid, work, etc, but I took off the entire week of Thanksgiving to hunt. But even that almost didn't happen as I wrecked my truck and currently have a car for transportation. Luckily my buddy told me that I could tag along with him to hunt one of our favorite public land areas. He checked his cameras this weekend and had 9 different bucks on camera. Bucks were running.

It was a gorgeous morning. Cold (29 degrees), crisp, and perfectly clear. I climb a tree at what we call the "H", which is basically just a large crossing between too thickets with a creek behind. I like this location simply because you can see so much. I've hunted it in the past years and have seen plenty of deer at the location, just never have been able to get a shot. I think my buddy has killed 3 deer off this location.

Anyways, right at daylight the action starts with a small 8 crossed the lane to my right about 50 yards. He walked out, looked both ways, then continued into the thicket. It was a brief encounter but he got me excited for the morning. About 30 minutes past and I saw a doe coming down the lane behind me. There is an opening that gives me a perfect 20 yard shot and she was heading right for that opening. Right before she was about to step into the opening, I drew back, but I'm not sure how, maybe I bumped it in my nervous excitement, but my released slipped and I sent an arrow a mile into the thicket about 20 feet over her head. I was devastated. She wasn't phased and carried on down the lane.

Now after cursing myself for a good 30 seconds, I composed myself and realized that the likelihood of a buck following her path soon was high. So I got ready and watched the lane and sure enough about 5 minutes later, a young 3 point came cruising, head down, tail up, down the trail of the doe. I was ready...but he never slowed down despite my attempts to stop him. Never had a chance at him.

Another 30 minutes past when I small buck crossed at the "H". The only climbable tree is about 50 yards south of the "H", which is where I was, so I was unable to get any shot at him. But about 20 minutes later, what I believe to be the same buck, came back to the "H" and started heading towards my tree.

As I scooted forward in my seat, it my a slight sound, which automatically drew the attention of the buck and caused him to stop and turn. At this point I wasn't sure what to do as he was about 35 yards out. If he would continue down the lane I would have an easy 15-20 yard shot. But he stopped, turned and started to walk into the thicket and I knew if he went in I would never see him again. So as he turned I drew and let her fly. I knew the shot was high and forward as I saw him run off with the arrow hanging out. I was nervous that I just got shoulder with no vitals. I heard violent thrashing in the thicket for a good 15 minutes. He was dying but it wasn't clean. While excited, I also felt a bit remorse for placing such a poor shot.

I decided to climb down after about 30 minutes of texting with my buddy, who had only seen a doe so far, and walk back to the truck to get the deer dolly. We hiked in about a mile, so by the time I would return it would have been almost an hour. I was confident he would be dead by then. As I was walking back, my buddy excitedly texted me that he had just shot a good buck as well.

We met at my stand and quickly found my buck 50 yards in the thicket. The amount of blood was impressive. I had hit him in the neck. A poor shot, but effective.

Now the work began as we had two 200 lb deer to drag a mile through the swamp. After 3 hours of work, we finally had both deer at the truck. We were beyond exhausted, but extremely excited about our morning. Neither bucks are trophy deer, but killing a buck with a bow on Louisiana public land is an accomplishment in my world, and we did it on the same morning.

My buck:

[​IMG]

My buddies buck:

[​IMG]

2. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is great !! What a great buck !!!!!! This made my day and it was going good to start with. Congrats !!

3. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to your buddy too !!

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well... its true, say your final good byes folks. The END is here.. lol

Congrats Hook!!

6. GhostRack

GhostRack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome congrats to both of yas..

7. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! I had to double check the name on this, didn't believe my eyes the first time.

8. joot

joot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You two are real lucky to get it same morning...

9. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what a great testimony to perseverance. Many guys would have thrown in the towel. Major respect to you my friend!

10. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After ten years any deer would be an accomplishment. How awesome to get one with your buddy, too.

Congrats!

11. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I laughed

12. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, heck, I'm going on five with my bow...it's true. I'd be proud of anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, on the deer and the patience.

14. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I know and agree... Its just so many of us have given Hooker crap over the years for not hunting let alone kill a deer (the man can fish though), its just funny...

Hell I think I have only seen him post outside the cooler like once..

JZ AND Hook in the same year.... Scary :)

15. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Those are both nice deer. Congrats to both of you.

Blessings.............Pastorjim

16. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bout time Hooker! Congrats man. Congrats to your Bud too. Nice bucks!

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats... That's awesome, but I can't help myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man. Way to get it done. I'm all too familiar with how life gets in the way of being outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats ...keep it up now and make it yearly

20. buckhunter1

buckhunter1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and patience pays off almost all the time!