Muzzleloader - help.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by PinkPony, Nov 24, 2015.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My husband has tossed around the hint of wanting to get a muzzleloader. Well, I cannot decide what to get him for Christmas because the only other thing he mentioned is the new Mathew's - (that's something he needs to get himself, too many customs). So, I did a quick search of Cabela's and found a few muzzle loader combo sets (gun and scope).

But I know nothing about these. I don't necessarily need to buy off Cabela's. I have a local guy who we get a lot of guns through - I'd just like to have an idea before I do anything. (Unless I can think of something different to give)

I'd appreciate any info you may give.

Thanks!

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly any modern inline muzzleloader is a tack driver at 200...with practice 300...with more and right loads I know guys blasting deer 350. I am a huge fan of anything Thompson Center makes...but other companies put forth awesome ones as well.

If he plans on using it a lot get a solid one, if won't get used much honestly the Thompson Center Impact is amazing and the little I've used mine I love it. Not sure if still offered though.

3. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    He'd only use it a couple days a year. I was looking at Traditions Pursuit or Vortek - but I know I've heard a lot about Thompson Center (thank you outdoors channel!).

Cabela's has the Impact for $249 bare...I could throw on a nice scope and still be under $400. Actually just found the combo for $349.

Guess I should find out the law for PA first. I know nothing about them!!

Thanks Ty!

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the Vortek in hand over the Pursuit...not really sure why but just did from handling them both. Sounds like any of them will do the job he'll need it for.

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:

Guess I'm glad I looked at the law. Muzzle loader is during archery season - Flintlock is what is the later season (which I believe is why he wanted it). Guess that changes a few things! No scope, for sure.

ETA; I like the look of that gun, Tackle.

7. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of good guns out there. One recommendation I can give is on the powder. I have shot muzz since the 1980's and they have come a very long way. I have used nearly every propellant out there and have never found anything better than Blackhorn 209. It is non-corrosive and extremely clean burning. The consistency in shot to shot is incredible.

8. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Great to know, thanks Fletch!

9. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    No problem. Believe me, I spent countless hours and dollars over the years messing with different bullet and powder combinations. Every gun is a little different on what bullets it likes, but all of my muzzleloaders like the Blackhorn 209. You just have to play around with the volume to find the most accurate load. Blackhorn costs more, but you use a little less volume, so its not that much more. And, its worth every penny when it comes time to clean the gun and the fact that it is not harmful to the gun. Have fun with the world of muzzle-loading!

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is your preference for lead Fletch?

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    As for the load, we've exclusively for years used 44 cal 240gr XTP bullets in a 50 cal sabot.

12. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I have an original Knight MK85 in stainless that I converted to 209 ignition that loves Knight Red Hots in 250 gr. and 90 grains of Blackhorn 209.

I also have a Knight Long Range Hunter and a Knight Wolverine that both shoot the Barnes TMZ boat tails in 250 gr. like tacks. The LRH likes a little more powder than the Wolverine. 115 vs. 95.

Maybe the most fun is a youth Rossi that gets loaded with just 60 grains of powder and pushes a Hornady XTP 180 grain pistol bullet out to 100 yards with sick accuracy.

All are .50 cal guns and all have been a real joy to play around with to get just the right recipe for accurate shooting. Just like fine tuning your bow, you can fine tune a muzzleloader to be incredibly accurate. This thread makes me want to go shoot! lol

13. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have not hunted PA muzzleloader in a long time unless it has changed it was flint . no inline primer staying on target was interesting to say the least. Flash pan smoke had to clear before you could see if you hit anything :biggun:

14. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Kirk, they have muzzleloader for doe during our archery season (couple days) - the other in December is flintlock. Which, I'm glad I looked up the law before I really started looking because I didn't know there was a difference (oops).

15. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been very happy with my Traditions Vortex. Shooting 100 grain of White Hots powder with a 250grain Barnes Spit fire T-EZ. Been shooting real good out to 150. Anything farther I don't feel comfortable with until I upgrade the scope.

16. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    So I hinted to the husband this is what I'm getting him. He is clueless, but said he'd hunt the late season. So, what is everyone recommendation for a flintlock muzzleloader?

Fletch?

17. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, I know very little about flintlocks. There are forums that deal with primitive weapons that should have a ton of info. Good luck!

18. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Not a problem. Thanks though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk