Gut shot deer that may make b&c

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Buckrut20, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Buckrut20

Buckrut20 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys I'm new to the forum and need help. I shot the biggest buck to date 5 days ago with my bow. Terrible shot. I was in a skinny tree and 30 mph wind gusts. I shot him with a rage broadhead at 20 yards and I knew the shot was back but not sure how far back cause it was last light. I waited 4 hours to go track and within 40 yards of tracking I found the arrow broken in half with broadhead snapped off and a handful of guts hanging on tree branch. I decided to back out and wait till the next morning. Went in next morning and had a pretty good blood trail for about 350 yards into a pretty thick marsh and looked like he bedded multiple times and then I jumped him up and found another handful of guts and couldn't tell how far he went cause it was tall marsh grass. I decided to stop pushing him and figure he would die in the marsh and watch for crows or any sign of a dead deer. He's a giant 10 pt that I'm thinking will go 170 and it's killing me knowing he's most likely dead and I made a terrible shot. Anyone know if I should start searching the marsh now or give it more time.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    5 days.... :eek2:... Not sure why you are waiting. How long had it been the last time you jumped him?

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My guess is if he's not dead within the first 48 hours, he's either not gonna die or be way too far to find him. I'd be out looking for him right now.

4. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get blood hounds...

They'll find it, even after 5 days.

5. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great first post. Do everyone a favor and don't take shots in those conditions. It's hard enough to make a kill shot in perfect conditions. Let me guess was he quartering towards you as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    go look he can't live while missing his digestive tract. he is in there not far from where you last jumped him. 48 hrs max on gut shot and he should be dead. 5 days guaranteed dead.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ya need to go look.

8. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What in gods green earth are u waiting 5 days for

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Play he wind as well, he should be plenty ripe by now. If you think you know where he may hve expired, try to circle in to that spot from downwind and see if you can catch the smell from decomposing.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Antler size should not matter when considering the effort of the recovery. The deer is dead you will find it if you put in the effort.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well thought out and very inciteful.

Buck fever gets everyone, even in perfect conditions. Had he made a good shot the responses would be more in line of, way to not let high winds discourage you.

How many threads have we seen already saying winds shouldn't deter your from getting out there?

It happens, first post or 5,000th shouldn't matter.

12. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This if legal in your state. Theresa thread on here with the link to a group of them all over the country.

13. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If what you describe is accurate, I can't believe he would make it very far.

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    5 days.....gotta be a troll.

If not GET OUT THERE AND GRID SEARCH!!!

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We need more tough love in this world and less brownie points.

Now to your problem.. To me, your post came off as caring more about what's on top of the deer's head than the meat that will be wasted after waiting 5 days. Bad shots happen but you might want to reevaluate some things if that's the reason.

You need to grid search the swamp right now or asap, and when you're tired of grid searching, do it some more. That deer is dead.

16. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, obviously nobody paid attention to the fact that he shot it with a Rage! The deer most likely climbed a tree and hung himself with his large intestine after you jumped him the last time. They just cant take those things.

17. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If only it was buck fever. Read the post again. He described everything that people on here tell others to avoid. Namely the fact he shot it at last light. Probably couldn't see the vitals. All I'm saying is that it sounds like he stacked the odds against him. That's not the way I like to go about hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My perspective/take away from his post was that he felt bad for the mortal wound on this deer. He describes a horror scene and feels terrible for the suffering this deer is/was dealing with. I would rather the deer die in whatever peace God could offer it rather than push it to suffer more. It's crazy that people die instantly when they are stabbed in the gut by Chuck Norris, Arnold, and whom ever. It's on TV so it's gotta be real. If this happens again, I think you should bring a bow in the search and a buddy with a gun. You could also do this legally, but consulting with the law. they may allow you to kill it with a gun. I've been allow to mercy kill road hit deer many times. same principle applies here. Hope you find it soon.

19. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to www.unitedbloodtrackers.org ... and find someone with a dog on your area and give them a call. That's what I'd do. You do need to get back in there. That buck is dead.

20. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Day 6.. What's the verdict?