Worst morning of my bowhunting life!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grommel, Nov 23, 2015.

1. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, yesterday at 7:15 am, a really nice 8 point comes from behind me at 40 yards. Limping something aweful, I stop him, steady my pin on him, and let the arrow fly!! That sound we all love to hear, the kick, the blood pumping as he high tails it out of dodge, the whole 9 yards! 15 minutes after everything settles down, a large doe is within 10 yards, wack, she goes down within 20 yards. I give the buck at least 2 hours, took care of buisness with the doe, track job a blind man could follow. Well, after 100 yards, I jump my buck. I spin aroun d, go back 4 hours later, pick up the blood trail again, I jump him again. Now the rain comes, game over. For a lack of words I really am very upset. I am hoping he is dead somewhere in the area I hunt, but i`m lost for words. I will post picks of the blood and the doe tonight. Thanks for reading a long boring story!!:bigcry:

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As many would suggest - get a dog if it's legal.

However, my husband shot a buck and it pumped so much blood we were still able to track after a good rain. I'd get back out when you have help and follow where you last left off. You never know.

Good luck.

3. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd probably be out taking a walk today. If you remember the direction of the blood trail it'd be a good place to start.

4. grommel

Dislikes Received:

5. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is getting a few very bright lights and going in the dark an option? Some of these light now a days really light up the whole woods. Good luck, tough break.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't give up, rain doesn't cancel grid searches or dogs if legal.

7. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what kind of blood did you have? it obviously wasn't a double lung hit. so it could have been the following: liver, flesh wound, muscle/ rump, shoulder hit. (scapula)..was it dark blood, gut contents? need a few details to help

8. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like the guys said don't give up, best bet is a grid search get some help and get back out there soon as you can.

9. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Phone a friend, get a dog, get more light. Don't give up. Friend of mine shot one once. We thought it was dead. We bumped it. It ran over 100 yds and crossed a creek. He was dead at the top of the creek bank. Ya just never know.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just look at the effort Fletch put in like 2 or 3 episodes ago this year for that buck he thought died......

11. grommel

Dislikes Received:
    Very bright red blood, some darker blood that almost looked like grit was in it. The arrow was a complete pass through as well, it had blood, hair, and also looked like some belly green goo as well. Arrow smelled bad as well. I`m not feeling happy about the shot.

12. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yeh that could be a gut shot...or it could be just how the arrow exited. I shot one last year a little qtr to in the shoulder and it came out the bottom of the belly. arrow smelled like guts and had contents. But I knew it was an exit deal because the deer was only 6 yards from me and I watched the arrow enter the shoulder. the blood trail was poor, but i found her withing 80 yards. It was a quick lesson for this guy, never shoot em like that again, it could have been a disaster. Keep ya head up, it happens. Learn from it and go after it again.

13. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you find it tonight dont give up just yet.