Professional grade 4K camcorder for under $1300. Wow

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Skywalker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just ran across this one this morning. For someone looking to step up from a handicam to a professional style camcorder, this might just be the ticket. Right now they are offering a $500 price reduction and a free microphone. This camcorder originally did not come with the XLR inputs and handle, but they have since added that as a standard feature shipped with the camera. I have not actually handled or used this camera, but it is coming in at just barely more expensive than the consumer grade Canon G30, and cheaper than the HD only Professional grade Canon XA20. It's at least worth a look for anyone that's looking to step up to a compact pro grade camcorder. Just thought I'd give a heads up.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL102320

B&H Link
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._-mbxMhOw8zKxBhEQij6hnMRF_aV_aBBtkaAj8j8P8HAQ

2. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking at the SONY version of this camera. I almost decided to sell my Sony PMW-EX1R to buy it. The JVC appears to be about 1000 less than the SONY. I think Sony owns JVC if im not mistaken. Looks like a nice camera.

3. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe there's any relationship between JVC and Sony.

I own the PXW-X70 and love it. I would venture to say it's a better camera in many ways. From my understanding it will out perform this JVC in low light, but like you said with 4K it's $1000 cheaper. Your able to completely jump over the prosumer cameras like the G20, G30 or the AX100 and get a true pro camera with all the bells and whistles makes this a hell of a deal in my opinion.

4. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree . I guess I assumed there was a relationship somehow with the similarities . I guess JVC just likes to push the limits on copying features . Glad to hear u like the X70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dang I'm tempted to sell my g30 and purchase this camera. You need special sd cards to record in 4K correct?

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    They need to be SDXC U3 cards, but they really aren't any more expensive that standard SD cards with a high bit rate.

Here's what I use. I have a couple 64 and a couple 128 of these cards and they work great. I think I can get about 230 minutes of 1080 60p @50mbps on the 128 gb card.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Speed-UHS-3-Memory-TS64GSDU3/dp/B00J3KA814

7. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing holding me back from buying this now is that I'm not sure what remote is compatible with the camera. I doubt my Varizoom for my g30 will work.

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah. Not sure about that. Uses the same 2.5km Jack, but I'm not sure if the wiring would be the same. I know I use a land made for Canon on my Sony PXWX70 and it works fine.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

9. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like my Varizoom should work with it. I wonder if it's much better in low light than my g30? Sensor size is a tad bigger. Being able to crop the 4K footage is really appealing to me. As well as having xlr inputs and a handle to hold it with.

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that's always the kicker. I think it would be at least equal to the G30 if not slightly better. My X70 is pretty good in low light, and can gain all the way up to 33db and is still pretty much usable. None of them would compare to something like the PMW-200 from Sony, but these smaller cams are are less than a third the price also. I can say that I have usable footage from my X70 that extends beyond the time where I would be comfortable taking a shot with my bow. I'm not sure that this cam has quite that type of low light capability, but I think it's probably pretty good for the class of camera and the price.

11. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only other thing I worry about with the JVC is its resale value. Not many people know about this camcorder

12. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, but I think the $500 rebate is a temporary deal, so you would already be $500 in the black plus it comes with the XLR handle and a XLR mic. If I hadn't already dropped the money on my X70, I would really be considering this cam. Expecially considering it's selling for about the price of a new G30.

13. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I bit the bullet and purchased this camera. Hopefully it will exceed my expectations!

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a JVC now that I love, but it doesn't perform well in low light. It doesn't have a port for a LANC port either. I was looking at buying the G30 or XA10, but I am really liking this camera. Thanks for sharing!!

15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet. Post up some thoughts about it once you get some time with it.

16. txbowhunter13

txbowhunter13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Would love to hear how the camera is doing for you!

17. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im talking to the boss about this right now. Thanks for posting this!!! Even though she is telling me no. Lol. Ill keep working on her

18. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ1000 Digital Camera. Can record at 4k but it's a normal camera. I was looking at them for the price. A used one around 400-500 or new for 700.

19. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been playing around with it for a few days now and so far I'm really liking it. I'll try to write up an in-depth review soon