Cold weather clothes?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cwarta, Nov 21, 2015.

1. cwarta

cwarta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On cold mornings like today, I am always sweating by the time I get to my stand. What do you guys do about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As much as it sucks to carry it but carry your jacket and last layer. I hate it as well but it helps. I just put it on when I get to the tree

3. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^this^^^

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hate carrying clothes too but I hate getting to my stand all sweaty far worse.
    I use a pack bigger than I need but all of my stand clothes fit in it that way.

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I don't carry it all I at least leave my hat off and everything unzipped as far as I can.

6. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a set of MTO50 bibs and jackets from cabelas. I pack it in and put it on at the stand. Now if I could just keep my feet from sweating I'd be golden.

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care how high end your clothing is, if you sweat like crazy getting into the stand, you're going to get cold.

First of all, wear the minimum amount of layers into the woods. Pack your outer layers in. You should be sort of chilly walking in at first. I climb into the stand, get all setup and then put on my layers. This allows time for me to cool down a bit and get any perspiration off me.

Also, a good wicking layer as your first layer will help tremendously. It should be thin layer thats only purpose is to transfer moisture away from your skin. I personally love merino wool layers for the first two. One silk weight next to skin and then an expedition weight over that.

8. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the exact same problem with my feet sweating by the time I got to my stand. I would be good to go everywhere else, but I'll be damned, no matter what I did, my toes would get cold and I would be miserable.

I read somewhere about using a non scented spray deodorant to keep your feet from sweating, thus helping them stay warm. I had nothing to lose but some misery, so I tried it. It works, and I have been doing this for years now.

I buy Sure brand unscented deodorant, after I shower before my hunt, I give both feet a good spray with the deodorant, let it dry, and I am good to go. It makes a HUGE difference in helping keep my feet warm. Give it a try........you have nothing to lose but a couple of bucks!

9. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I always carry my outerwear in and out. I don't put it on until I have cooled down even if that means I dress in the stand. I also keep a package of scent killer wipes in my pack in case I need to wipe down a little before I dress.

Blessings........Pastorjim

10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same bibs and jacket. Definatley a nice set.

11. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been trying some things this year .The heater body suit was all it advertised and some I have not had fridged temps but I can dress for 25/30 degree warmer temps get in the stand and put the suit on toasty warm. 30 out dress for 60