Help picking a stabilizer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cmonsta, Nov 19, 2015.

1. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not know much about stabilizers. I honestly bought the one I have for looks more then anything lol. I am working on piecing together my next bow. And one of my main focuses on this bow is weight. So I have some questions. From my understanding, length has more effect then weight with a stabilizer correct? If so, I want to get a decent length one for a hunting set up (no giant target bow one of course), but I want the lightest in its class. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips they can share based on my wants here?

2. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did a lot of research before buying mine and I was able to shoot my bow with several models, my bow balanced pretty good with the Bee Stinger 6". If you have a shop near you that sells them ask if you can try a few out.

3. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to bow shops that will let you put them on your bow and shoot with them. Go to as many shops and try as many as you can. How you hunt will determine what length you want. You may want shorter for a ground blind, or maybe a longer one for treestand.

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I have at least an hour drive to any shop where I live, and most I have seen aren't the best. I know shooting several will help like anything else. But I also would like some input based on what I provided. Ill be driving several hours and a ton of fuel to test bows before I buy, not sure I can justify doing that bow shop tour again for a stabilizer.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A good stabilizer is a balance of length and weight. I'll be honest and admit I have shot from 6" through 10" stabilizer on my last bow and never noticed a difference. So I still use the shorter one on my current bow because it fits in my case. If I was into target archery I would play with front and side weight. But for hunting I just don't feel like I need it. Everybody is different though so you really need to try some. Lots of guys like front and side bars on their hunting bows.

6. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like coop said a good stab is a good balance of length and weight. Ideally your ultimate goal is to balance the bow out best you can. I've been playing around with this for a while now and have finally got what feels the best for me in terms of balancing the bow for me the best. I went with a local guy around my area that makes custom stabs and played around with the lengths of them, adding/subtracting weight, and side weight. I def recommend trying a few different ones out in different lengths and with different weight until you see what works best for you and your rig.

This is what I ended up choosing and I am very happy right now, it has balanced the bow perfectly for me...
    [​IMG]

Before this set up I have shot stabs anywhere form 3" to 10" and this just fell right into what I felt my sweet spot was.

7. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You want a balance of weight and length as has been mentioned. I use the Xtreme Stabilization brand with good results. The DOA is a great little stabilizer for hunting.

8. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got a 10" front stabilizer from Shadow Stabilizers. Reasonably priced at $40 for mine. He also has weights and other add ons. Found the guy on that other forum in which you talk about archery.

9. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The farther away from the bow you can get the center of gravity of the stabilizer, the more stabilizing effect it will have. Here is what I use, although not with all of the weight added. But as you can see the shaft is carbon and very light weight so all of the weight is near the end and it provides great stabilizing effect because the moment is greater.

[​IMG]

10. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like my 8" Bee Stinger, but probably should have gotten the 6". My bow is balanced well w/o it and I only have 1 weight on it.

I'd suggest getting one with adjustable weights.

11. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried shooting without one? I don't use one anymore.

12. Bobby_OA

Bobby_OA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Find a good shop that will let you try a bunch of different stabilizers. It really is something you have to feel before you can make a decision and a stabilizer is not something I would skimp on.

13. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I think a stabilizer is one of the most important pieces on your bow. I wanted to tighten my groups downrange. I bought a drop away (Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro) then I upgraded my sight to a Spot Hogg, but my improvement really came when I added a stabilizer. I went and shot with about 5 different ones. I ended up going with a 10" Bee Stinger. I was focused on improving my 50 to 80 yard groups and this did just that.

I was amazed. If I had known, I would have bought the stabilizer first and saved a lot of $$. Good Luck!

14. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    B-Stinger is very hard to beat.

Coming from the target archery side of things, stabilizers are very important. I either run a 12" front and 8" rear or the 15" front and 12" rear. The advantages far outweighs the disadvantage of weight. I have 4oz up front and 8oz out back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk