Broad heads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cart3r_hunt3r, Nov 19, 2015.

1. cart3r_hunt3r

cart3r_hunt3r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would like some input on what y'all think the best broad heads are. I shoot a diamond infinite edge pro with 60# draw and 27" draw length. I have been leaning towards expandable a because I've heard the blood trails are fantastic. I would also prefer a broad head with practice heads that I can buy.

2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best Broadheads are the ones that kill deer! :tu:

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In all honesty, this subject is pounded to death every year but here is my opinion based on experience. Any broadhead will work if shot placement is where it needs to go. What really should be done is have the best setup to give you the best results on not so perfect shots. My specs are very similar to yours however your bow has a IBO of 310ish so with a 400 grain arrow your getting about 50 ft. lbs of KE and 240fps. This is just a rough estimate based on online calculators. This year I used the Rage SS which are designed for low KE like us. We both are on the low end for mechanicals especially those heads with a 2" cut as it takes a lot of energy to push those blades through the animal and cut bone. They probably will get the job done but are not the best which is why i'm more than likely going fixed blade next year. 2 heads I would definatley check out as I've heard nothing but good things about are the Slick Tricks (Standard and Magnum) and the QAD Exodus fixed head.

I ended up getting a used Slick trick magnum this past spring and it shot fairly well so I think I might go with the standards next year.

Shot placement is key!

4. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My broadheads suck!

5. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been using Montec G5's for years and love them.

Got two bull moose and three black bears with them.

This fall it actually snapped a rib and went through and through on a huge bull. Never found the arrow.

6. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    carbon steel G5 Montec and slick trick standard have both worked great for me and recommend them.

7. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    many out there. rage, wac em, muzzy, slick trick, on and on.. they all do what they were made to do. I shoot rage, muzzy, and slick tricks.

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My favorites are QAD Exodus an slick trick for fixed. NAP KillZone for Expandable. At 60# and 27" you might be close on kinetic energy. I would definitely stay away from any expandables mags.. greater than 2" cut.

9. FLTXILduck

FLTXILduck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    G5 Montec absolutely crushed my deer last weekend and they fly great.

10. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At your poundage and draw length Id stay away from the large diameter mechanical heads. Takes a lot of KE to open those blades and get a pass through. I think a quality fixed blade COC or chisel tip head would serve you best. Slick trick, muzzy, montec, or Magnus is where I'd start looking. Just my opinion

11. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can ask questions about broadheads all day and get different answers. Truth is they all work if you do your job. I fell in love with Slick Trick Standards. Fly great, tune easy, tough replaceable razor sharp blades and you can find them for 8-9 bucks a piece if you keep your eyes open. I paid less than 8 a piece on my Last find.

12. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you should check out Afflictor Broadheads, they cut some bigholes, always open and are perfect for any bows setup!

13. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had great results with the wasp jak-hammer but then again my bow has a high ibo and I'm shooting 72lbs. I shot slick tricks before and they shoot awesome and I think those would be a great choice for you or you could try nap's killzone low ke.

14. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the NAP Hellrazor. They are nearly identical to the Montec from what I can tell. I have always had great blood trails with them. They fly great as well. I really like them. I shoot a Z7 70# 28 inch draw.

15. cwarta

cwarta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah montecs are god but if ur looking for an expandable I suggest the G5 havic broadheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Stick&String96

Stick&String96 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot fixed blade Slick Tricks. They blood trail just as good as any other head. I think, what a lot of people don't realize is; a double lung pass through is a double lung pass through. It doesn't really matter what head you shoot if your placement is good and it passes through. A double lung passthrough will produce blood. Period. Regardless of head.