Just a thought?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Nov 17, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, Just was thinking and really never thought about asking anyone. So you see a lot of guys with draw weights of 60-70 and even 80 pound bows. Hell, I'm pulling about 56 pounds and when I got a buck in front of me, i'm cold, and up 15 feet it can sometimes be a little difficult to get the bow back. So my thinking is... with technology so good compared to say 20 years ago. How come you don't see guys with say one of the speed bows of today but only at like 40-50 pounds for whitetail deer hunting? For example and just my thinking as I might get another bow next year. lets say I was shooting the PSE Full throttle. At about 45 pounds and a 400 grain arrow, that bow will shoot about 275fps which is pretty good. With it being only 45 pounds that bow would be cake to draw in the stand when cold etc. The alternative would be having a different bow say the No Cam, set at 60-65 pounds with the same arrow would get you about 275 fps.

Maybe my thinking is not right but just something I thought I'd ask as I was curious why I don't see guys hunting with a speed bow only set at low poundage because the cams are so aggressive that they can generate the same energy with less human effort.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know but if I ever have a problem pulling a bow back when I see a buck I will give it up. I believe in shooting as hard as you possibly can cranking the bow up and send a heavy arrow. I don't get shooting turning it down to what hold back longer?

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I pull 60#s and like Sota said, I am so amped up when I see Any deer that drawing my bow isnt a problem, it`s everything else that I do like a bumbling idiot!! Lol

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is nothing wrong with lowering your draw weight. Shoot what is comfortable for you. Shot placement is so much more important.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last season I had my 2014 RPM 360 set at 58#. It did a great job at that weight, complete pass through at 22 yards, arrow was 6" in the dirt. Of course shot placement was good and I use sharp fixed blade broadheads so that helps too.

6. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    my thinking was that if you can get the same performance out of a bow at 45 pound bow then why have a bow that is 65 pounds to make it harder on yourself. Just was thinking about it and thought i'd ask. I'm at 56 pounds right now and definatley pull it back on a deer but was thinking, why not get a bow with a lot higher IBO and set it at 45 pounds as I will get the same performance. That's all my thinking really was.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've always had my bows at 70lbs, mainly because it was not a problem drawing back.

Now that I have torn my shoulder and will likely be able to use a bow again next year I will probably get a lower poundage set up as a safety precaution.

Most states allow 40lb min. for draw weight, it is obviously sufficient or it would not be considered the standard.

I doubt I would go that low, but could see myself getting down to the 55-60lb range and choosing heavier arrow set ups with COC rather than rages. I'm 6' 2" and 230lbs, but not afraid of being called a sissy. More afraid of not being able to hunt the way I want to. Not a big fan of my crossbow.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I want to draw smoothly, I lowered from 70lbs a few years back to 63 and love it. Still get pass through shots more than not and don't feel the need to crank it up any higher.

Love my buddies that swear I need to get back up in the 70 club....yet I can draw smoothly no arch or anything...them not so much. Less movement less busting potential.

9. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can also let it down smoothly. Another bonus.

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to pull #75 but I've had to drop back to #65 because of my shoulder but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable shooting.

I do like to max out my draw weight though for heavier arrows. 500+ grains.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I always used to say, but hunting in Alberta changed all that kind of thinking for me. I'm accurate with my bow at 60lbs and draw it easily, BUT after sitting in a tree all day in 22F temps, with a breeze, it made my muscles tighten up to the point I couldn't draw my own bow when a nice WIDE 8pt came into my rattling. I'll never forget that hunt.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  12. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you can comfortably pull 60-65-70#, why would you not? You can still buy that same speed bow and shoot at the higher weight you are comfortable with and get even better performance.

13. early in

Dislikes Received:
    It's my understanding that a bow will shoot best at it's peak weight.

14. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hit a buck in the shoulder a few years back with a 60lb bow and light arrows. Did not kill that buck (not that we could find anyway). When I bought my current bow, I said I want to be able to shoot through a house lol. I am lucky to still be kind of young, and can draw my bow slow and steady (I practices often because I hunt from a ghost blind sometimes). I am going to buy another bow this spring. Bigger brace height, lower draw weight and length, more set up for hunting winter with bulkier clothes and from the ground. I shot my biggest buck to date this year with my 80lb draw bow, and don't even remember drawing, but I know I was able to get it back lol. And trust me, I was all kinds of shook up taking that shot lol.

15. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I get what the OP is saying however I think many people (myself included) has an ego. I don't pull 65 to act like a macho man however I pull that because it's what I am comfortable with and I can. I like having 65 pound pull. In my opinion my No Cam pulls so smooth I actually bumped it up 3 pounds than my previous bow because it doesn't feel any different. Even if I would buy a speed bow, I doubt I would ever drop the weight down that much. It's like having a fast car, you don't buy it to drive it slow do you? Just my two cents. :tu:

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You know part of it is is getting in a lot of practice. I like to be able to shoot a lot of arrows especially now that my kids have taken to the sport. If it seems like work it becomes less fun for me. I stopped buying bows with 70 lb limbs because I always ended up cranking them down. I found Mathews bows specifically run a little stout anyway, typically 3-4 pounds from what I have seen. So rather then buying a 70 lb bow and backing it way off I just buy 60 LB limb back it off one turn as that seems to be the sweet spot for a good shooting bow. In the end its almost the exact same draw weight and the bow shoots better. IMO...

17. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, I was beginning to think people didn't understand my thinking lol. I do understand what some people are saying and definitely makes sense.

18. Buoy Daddy

Buoy Daddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The older I get the more I think the same as you. The last bow I bought the shop owner tried talking me into a 60# and max it out. but my ego and pride said no I want a 70# but draw 64. Was hunting late season that year, around 15 degrees, and extra layers on = missed deer and shoulder injury. Felt some strain and instant pain. Took all summer to build my shoulder back up to draw comfortably again.

19. early in

Dislikes Received:
    That's what Lancaster Archery told me and I bought my Hoyt Vectrix 60lb. It's maxed at 63lb. I LOVE this bow!

20. cart3r_hunt3r

cart3r_hunt3r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 13 and I pull 60# easily, a year ago I could only pull back 35#. It just goes to show how shooting a few times a weak can really strengthen your muscles.