Mathews® Introduces 2016 HALON™ & NO CAM™ HTX Bows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was actually very interested to see what they did this year. I'll be the first to chime in. A 5" brace height bow?! What are we in the 80's? The 6's and 7's aren't all that impressive. I believe Matthews has also set a new standard for fugliness with that model.

What I was VERY interested to see is what they did with the No-cam. Last year, my interest was peaked and I hoped they would refine it and perhaps find a bit more speed out of it. They went down in brace and actually lost speed this year.

Speed isn't everything and is very low on my list. But if I have to shoot a 6 1/2" or less brace bow, I would hope I would be rewarded with speed. Matthews is making smooth pulling bows. I wish they would make the cams slightly "hotter" to get a bit better speed out of them.

3. Matt Jensen

Matt Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like they're trying to copy elite with the dual riser. Love my synergy.

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang. I was excited for this also. I don't understand why they would drift so far away from Z7X, a bow that almost every one who owned loved. I would be interested in the 7" Halon, but its so heavy compared to other companies like Hoyt. And odd to me that they would list the weight of the bow, but not include the Harmonic Dampers in the weight. Idk, maybe they shoot like dream. But I was hoping for a light compact smooth bow for packing into public land, winter, and hunting from the ground. I already have a heavy speed bow, I wanted about the opposite for my back up bow.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How does a 30" bow weigh 4.6lbs? I definitely want to shoot one though :) .

6. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I own a Z7 and I love it, but I'm diggin' the new riser on the Halon.

7. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll give them a whirl. I actually like the looks of them. May be more interested in picking up last years HTR though.

8. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And here we all begin with the comments of speculation based on the specifications of a bit of reading and a few pictures. I'm sure none of us have seen one of these bows in person, yet everyone has an opinion whether it's a seller or not. You want more speed, you lose brace height and smoothness. You want a bow without flex and no vibration but complain about how heavy it is. Give and take people! Ok rant over, continue on with the speculations!

9. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ....I think we may have reached a point where no manufacture can release a bow that is impressive on paper. It's all down to how it feels in your hand. The new NoCam is a looker, but was hoping for a NoCam design that came in at 3.5 lbs. Can't wait to shoot these, but I think the Heli-m is safe with me for now. I know the checkbook hopes so!

10. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think they they look good.
    I thought the video was nice. LOL

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Time to shut the thread down??? Just as many speculations prior to the official release. :) Quite honestly I know they put a lot of R&D into their products and go through a ton of revisions prior to production. I however have a really hard time getting excited about anything Mathews. Maybe because I know realistically I wouldn't get one until spring even if I ordered it sight unseen right this very instant!

12. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They actually did lose brace height on the No-cam and its slower than last years. I couldn't care less about the weight. If I have issues toting 4-8 more ounces around the woods, then I'll hit the gym.

I'm quite sure they will shoot fine and be as quiet as any bow they've produced. But for the money, I believe there are far more impressive bows to be had once again.

Matthews is the Apple of the bow world. Each year Apple spits out a new iPhone. It could be great, it could be OK or it could be less than OK. But hey, its an Apple, it has to be the best, most innovative and revoluationary bow of the year says all of the sheep.

I've been waiting on a Matthews that blows me away and gives me a great balance of speed, shoot ability and smooth/easy draw. I've been shooting Bowtech's for a long time and quite frankly am starting to like their draw cycles less and less since they started down the speed trail.

13. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    So ideally what would the perfect bow be for you? Like what specifications would you like from A2A, weight, speed, brace height, etc? What would blow you away?

14. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm definitely interested in them. I think i'm liking the 6" brace Halon. It says 345 ibo, is that with 75% or 85% LO? Do these bows have rock mods?

This year I shot the No Cam and definitely like it but it is heavy. I shoot 242 fps (55 pound DW) with a 392 grain arrow. If i'm going to use have a heavy bow I might as well upgrade to that bow as its about the same weight but would shoot my same arrow 20-30 fps faster. I'm by all means not a speed freak but have always been on the edge of things. A bow with a little more oomph would be nice and flatter shooting.

15. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think anyone here said anything about if they will sell or not. And what else are we suppose to base opinions on if we cant get our hands on it yet? If specs and pictures is all they released, that's all we can comment on. Many other companies have found better balance for years. Mathews used to. Lately they seem to be fixed on 1 thing, smooth draw. And that's great. Its important. But why take away bows people loved and offer this? The says when Heli came out, and Z7X was still in the mix, and the MR series, those were the days. Could have a light bow, a small compact smooth bow, or a semi smooth speed bow. Played pretty much to everyone. Now they need to drop to 5" brace height and still get less IBO then my MR6. And heavier physical weight. So whats the advance? A tiny bit smoother? I don't see why I would buy a new one if that's the only thing they can improve in 4 years.

16. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Until there is a revolution in materials and manufacturing processes, I don't think any new bow will blow people away. Might pique your interest...but blow you away? Don't think so.

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never complained about the weight, I asked a question. Don't be so sensitive. We all don't have to love every spec of a bow. That's why so many manufacturers sell bows, so everybody can find one they like.

18. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I just worry about the criticism that people are quick to judge when reviewing a product based on pictures and reading specs. A lot of people are keyboard warriors and experts when looking at products online but don't have any real experience. I'm not saying these Mathews products are the best bows yet or the most innovative. I just think no matter what any bow company produces there will be people quick to point out flaws when in fact they really have no idea. Like I said in my earlier post, rant over. Continue on with the opinions! :tu:

19. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Call me crazy but i like them. 335Fps is fast enough, even 326 will get the job done. Who cares if it's a 5" brace height or weighs a little to much if it shoots good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My guess is you're gonna have to shoot them. They made them for a reason, no company would release a bow they didn't think would do well.