Another "New to bow hunting" question.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by JRBDad, Nov 13, 2015.

1. JRBDad

JRBDad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looking into buying my first bow. Already bought my 10yr old son his ( Parker Side kick xp ). Have been pushed in different directions by different store so not sure what to get.

I am 5'6" with about 26" draw. Will hopefully be hunting with this boy next year. I am on a budget, cannot afford to spend over $550 on everything.

Had a sales guy at one store tell me that bow I was looking at was for teens and that I would just want a full size bow in a year or so.???? I am not going to grow any more?

What should I be looking at, brand, models. What should I stay away from. Thanks

2. Buoy Daddy

Buoy Daddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My experience has been what fits your budget. I MO the new bows are all pretty good and more than capable to do a quality job. I have always shot 60-70 pound bows. I got a new one a couple years ago and the shop owner tried to talk me into a 50-60 #. I disregarded his advice. Now wish I would have listened. A bow will have peak performance at a maxed out draw weight and length. So a lower price bow maxed out will out perform a higher priced bow turned down. Just my .02

3. JRBDad

JRBDad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Buoy Daddy, never thought about that.

4. azcoyote

azcoyote Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I found a good package at an online site after the local shop guy told me I would need to spend 900 for all my kit.

I have 31" draw so it was tough to find a bow that wan't insanely expensive(to me).

I got my kit for just at 525 on hunters friend. Got my wifes on clearance for $359 with all the trimmings. So far it has been great. There must be other places online too. Look about I would say.

5. JRBDad

JRBDad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Settled on a Mission Hype DT. Shoots very well.