Tips for faster mobile setups?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jake/PA, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After taking what seemed like forever to hang a stand, I was trying to find flaws in my set up system. The way I do it now is just one trip up the tree, then pulling pack up, then bow. But this way is still taking a half hour for some reason.

What are some hunting hacks that you have found to increase speed or decrease problems?

Having just read Hecklers near fall post, don't recommend something that could be a safety risk.

Thanks!

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think if you have a good idea of the tree size you're going to hunt setting up your stick strap the proper length can go a long way in set up time.

3. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pull bow and pack up on same rope.

Linemans belt setup that can adjusted with one hand.

Quick hanger for your stand.

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have line attached from harness to bag, then a rope attached from bag to bow. Everything comes up once I'm in the tree.

Not a fan of the muddy lineman belt. Not that easy to adjust IMO. I'm currently using one of the Lone wolf straps as a lineman's.

Anybody else? I know there's more mobile hunters on this site.

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm almost 100% mobile, I use muddy sticks, an XOP stand, and a Muddy Harness. I have rope stirrups on each stick to gain a step, these are also used to hook 2 sticks on my harness. I set the first stick, have 2 sticks on my hips stand on back, 2nd stick in hand. Once stand is hung my bow comes up, 15 min is probably max for setup always 1 trip. The more you get a system the faster and quieter you'll get.

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One trip up will save you the most time and from my perspective is the safest . I put a pull rope on my bag, cloths, and bow. I set the first stick from the ground. I have loops I made from 550 cord on the waist band of my harness i put the other sticks in. They hang off my hips. Stand is on my back. I climb and set the sticks on my way up. Once I am at the top I remove the stand from my back and mount it. Climb up and tie off. Pull my gear up and I am hunting!

7. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand how it's taking you 30 min to hang a set going up 1 trip, that's over 5 min per stick, sure it's taking that long?

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I watched a guy do a video on lone wolf alpha 2 set up in 5 min. Now thats unrealistic in most situations going in blind. I seem to be slow too. I hunt with a climber right now and still get flustered. I just try to stay calm and remember that being quiet is more important than setting up quick. A few extra minutes hopefully wont make or break your hunt.... plus the more you take your time the less you sweat, so being a little slower has its perks too.

9. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I plan on being mobile all year like I did this fall threwout July and August I go in and scout the best trees I can find and trim branches or clear any brush and mark the location so even in the dark you have a clear tree to climb and have no surprises half way up the tree. My buck I killed this year on public was in a tree I had prepped in early August.

10. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't try to set any speed records. Just be efficient. First stick from the ground second from the first stick without tying in. I have one end of my pull rope tied to the 4th stick and other end tied to the stand. Connect lineman strap and lifeline. Climb up carrying the 3rd stick and set it. Pull up the 4th and set it followed by the stand. Step onto stand set the height of lifeline and put on my bow hanger.

Climb down with pull rope tied off on the top of the 4th stick. Grab my pack and connect my bow to the pull rope. Climb back up hang my pack and pull up the bow.

Climbing down and back up is only a couple minutes at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    You legally can't trim on WI public, just a friendly reminder.

12. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a climbing treestand with a third hand bow holder. My bow stays mounted on the upper half with it leaning away from the tree(for leverage sake) and my fanny pack slid around my back. HSS harness and q-safe tree strap slide up as I travel. I'm 20 feet up a straight tree in minutes with no haul rope to mess with.

13. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I know I don't trim but if there are any logjams of sort I just make sure I sort of know my way around the tree sorry for that My property I've been hunting in Ill I have to do LOTS of trimming. Thanks though!

14. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I timed it the other day but that was a bad tree. Even if it was 15-20, I'm still finding flaws.

Most of that I do already. My one flaw is the bow/bag pull up ropes. Spend 5 minutes trying to untangle and separate. My current system is two rope winders with 20' of paracord on each.

15. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you're doing ok. I put little carabiners on all my pull ropes and on the d-rings of my pack for easy on and off. Also second trimming your trees out early, that definitely takes the longest.

16. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could try a butterfly coil with your rope? I do this with my pull ropes and life lines when I take stands down for the year. Also use it on my anchor ropes on my boat. Just throwing stuff against the wall...might work?

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Watch this video at the 3 minute mark. This is how I wrap up my pull ropes for tangle free use next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-VVrq4E7eY

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When are they getting tangled? On the way up? Do you daisy chain items together or take both ropes up the tree with you? When I have a lot of stuff I will tie a pull rope on my gear and pull it up. I'll have another rope attached from my bag to to my bow. Seems like this is cleaner when I do it that way.

19. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Before I even start the climbing process. The storage and laying it out pre climb. I also do the daisy chain method.

Just bought a fanny pack to lessen the weight and easier to deal with. Thinking I carry to much crap in as well.

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at the BOW & GEAR HOIST from HSS. I was thinking about trying one. It should resolve your issues. I pack a little less every year. In fact I started this year using a predator hunting vest. It was the next best thing as I couldn't find a bow hunting vest. Quite honestly if I can't get the gear I need in the vest I am caring to much stuff. At least for half day sits or less. Best part about the vest is nothing gets in the way of carrying my stand on my back. Nor does the stand have a bunch of extra crap strapped to it.