Help: Arrow weight, Speed, Kintetic Energy

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Stick&String96, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Stick&String96

Stick&String96 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys so I've been bowhunting deer for several years now, but just now decided to run the numbers on my bow.

My bow is shooting somewhere around 237-240 fps with a 355g arrow at 60 lbs. Do these numbers seems correct to you?

Based off of those numbers, my kinetic energy is only 45 ft-lbs, this seems a little low to me. Can my short draw length really affect my kinetic energy that much?

I have shot Rage 2'' mechanicals without a problem, they opened when they were supposed to and passed through. I have also shot sharp coc Slick Trick Razor Tricks. However, looking at these numbers, I think I'm going to start shooting the Slick Tricks again. Just to be safe.

All of the numbers I ran as well as the equipment I use are in my signature. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

2. Mitchellhunt99

Mitchellhunt99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say those numbers sound alright, although they seem a little fast compared to my bow, and I have a 2 inch longer draw length and a few grains lighter arrow. I'm shooting a mission riot 60 pounds at a 27" draw with a 347 grain arrow and I'm getting 239 fps.... But I'm also shooting fixed blades, just to be safe like you said.

3. Stick&String96

Dislikes Received:
    The IBO speed for my bow is 305 fps at 28", I believe the IBO for yours is 310 at 30". If thats correct my bow will shoot a little faster at lower draw lengths than yours. But thanks, your numbers are pretty similar to mine.

4. Mitchellhunt99

Mitchellhunt99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I wasn't quite sure on what the ibo was on our bows. That would make sense thought.

5. T FERG

T FERG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stick with the slick tricks.

6. Stick&String96

Dislikes Received:
    Yepp, no reason so change

7. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In general, every inch of draw length will increase arrow velocity by 10 fps. This will of course increase your KE output. 44 ft-pounds is plenty for whitetail. Deer have been killed with primitive gear for centuries, likely with less KE than that. I agree, you should stick with a smaller fixed blade broadhead. I use a slick trick standard 1" for the extra penetration. Two years ago I was able to shoot a doe through the shoulder blade. Got 6-8" of penetration and with a mechanical, I don't know how much it would have been but likely a good bit less.

8. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you wanted to change something, the only thing I'd look into is increasing the FOC. It helps with penetration because it would effectively increase arrow spine by changing the the center of gravity of the arrow (balance point) and make the front of the shaft a little more stiff and cause less flexing of the arrow at that point to help the broadhead stay more straight as it hits the target.

Other than that - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

9. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what is your draw length? oops, I see it, 25" If you like the 60# pull and the slicks then go with it. 45# of KE is plenty with those heads. Most recurves and longbows average 32-39 # of KE, and get pass thrus. COC heads of course. If you want to change, go up to 70# and you will have zero problems with any head with a 355 gr arrow. although that arrow is light for 70#, it will still kill.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015