Why hang ons?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by [email protected], Nov 8, 2015.

1. tar798@msn.com

[email protected] Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This may not be in the right category if anyone would recommend where to put it next time that d be greatly appreciated! so im just wondering how come todd, justin, and seems like to me all the pro staffers etc seem to use hang on tree stands rather then ladder stands? and hang ons more or less safe then ladder stands? i understand that hang ons are easier to put up by yourself and you can put them in places you cant put a ladder stand. but again why do all the pro staffers appear to use hang ons.

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You answered your own question....but you missed packability.. Much easier with a hang on

3. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Normally hang on stand go higher than ladder stands. A ladder stand leans up against the trunk of a tree not much cover down there.

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can also move your set up in as little as 20min or so. Ive always been an advocate of a climber because i hunted alot of mature hardwood bottoms with straight bare trees. Could climb 24-28ft no problem. But this season ive tried some new piblic lands that are loaded with big bucks. My first hunt might have cost me a giant buck. I walked to where i was seeing good sign and wanted to set up but i would have had to spend an hour trimming. So i backed up around 40 yds to the nearest tree i could climb. About 10 min after being set up i look over and see rows of nothing but tines.... if i would have set up in the tree i looked at to begin with i would have had a 15 yd shot....(if i didnt get busted) but wind was in my favor. I thought never again... ive soent too much money already this season but next year i gaurantee i will have me a lone wolf set up.... and btw i mentioned climber but its even more impossible to carry a ladder stand in on a run n gun hunt.

5. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a pack and stack ladderstand for my first few yrs of bow hunting. First it was heavy. Took long to set up. Noisy setting up aswell as climbing up it. Wouldn't work on bent trees or trees with low branches. With a hang on I shaved 20 lb from my setup.clime almost any tree I want. It quieter.

6. Jeeper

Jeeper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the above statements. I've never had a ladder stand but I have seen a few bowhunters with them. They don't seem to be very high off the ground and they look extremely heavy and awkward to set up. I've also used a climber in the past but as Shocker99 said you need to find a bare tree unless you want to make all kinds of racket trimming. Now I use only a hang-on stand with ladder steps. It's pretty easy to set up and take down as necessary. But, I'm sure there are guys who will swear by either climbers or ladder stands. Each to his own I guess.

7. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also Lonewolf is a sponsor and they do not make a ladder stand. I'm not knocking as I use all lone wolf I am just stating facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Word on the street is the ladder stand will make a come back at some point.

9. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ladder stands make great observation stands when hunting the same property year after year. I agree most are too low but there are some that are 20' to the shooting rail. Sadly thats about as tall as they get.

Hang ons make great killing stands for all the reasons mentioned already like ease of set up, quiet and light to pack in, and you don't need the perfect tree to set it up.

As far as safety goes I use a lifeline on all my set ups, including my ladder stands.

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They used to. I am pretty sure one of the staff members still uses one sometimes. But obviously they no longer make one.