Hit a big one today.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I want to start this off saying that I know my shot was unethical and unacceptable. I rattled at first light this morning, and 2 minutes later, here comes a 6 point. He was 20 yards broadside and I just watched him. But I could only see his one side. He moved on and stopped at a scrape 40 yards from my stand, turning his head, showing me he was no 6 point. In fact he was the biggest buck I have pictures of on this particular property. I though, no I missed my one opportunity at this deer, well he came circling back around and stopped facing me at 20 yards. I'm not looking for people to tell me that I don't belong in the woods, and it was a stupid decision because I already know that. I know what I did was stupid, and I would love to have the shot back. But I decided to draw on him, so I didn't miss my opportunity. He was still facing me, and I said to myself. "I'm gonna wait until he turns broadside." I had all the time in the world. This is my 2nd year bowhunting, And I have never seen a buck this big while hunting. I had my pun on his chest facing towards me, even though I was going to wait for him to turn. That second, my mind was fogged. My emotions and nerves overtook everything. I shot him in the chest facing me. As soon as I shot, I couldn't believe that I would do something that unethical. I rushed the shot, and the moment. I am shooting 45 pounds. He ran 45 yards and stopped for 10 seconds, and then trotted off. I am unexplainably ashamed of my shot. If I waited 30 seconds, and I would be sitting behind a giant right now. I have not gone to look for him get, and my plan is to wait until 1:00. I shot him at 6:00 A.M. Is there any chance I will find him? Is there a chance I hit something like an artery or anything? I don't want you to lie to me, and make the situation better than it is, but I don't want people bashing and ripping my actions. I already know that it is common sense not to take that shot. I am looking for a realistic opinion on my situation, and maybe a little bit of hope. Thanks guys. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1446822680.035403.jpg this is him.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not a whole lot you can do now other than wait. Go back in a few hours, see what sort of sign you have and take up the track. If you hit any sort of main artery or got down into the lungs you stand a good shot at recovery. If not, you may be kicking yourself for a long time on this.

I've been a part of tracking several deer shot head-on from a treestand and in all honest, most of them did not end well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a tracking dog if legal, I probably wouldn't go farther than 40 yards from shot if I didn't have amazing and surprising blood.

Shane, acknowledging your error takes more character than many guys have. Vow to yourself to never do it again and move on. Know you may take some heat, and like you've stated you get it but just don't want to hear it. Know that those that will still be honest with you or bring it up bring it up as a fellow sportsman, not in hopes to make you feel like crap but to simply keep you accountable. This forum is full of awesome guys, so take it to heart as you already have and promise us you've learned your lesson and will respect the deer more moving forward. Hunt long enough we all have regrets or things happen...sucks.

It is a tough lesson, and yes whether you find him or not this doesn't change anything. (praying you find him!)

I agree with Justin though, wait a good time frame before going in to look, and even then as I stated a solid tracking dog would be worth the investment.

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Couple specific shot questions:

-How high up were you in the tree?

-How far did the arrow penetrate?

-Describe or label a picture of the front of deer with where you saw impact?

-Did you see him bed?

-Was his tail up or tucked when he ran away?

5. Matt Jensen

Matt Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This might be stating the obvious, but be ready for a shot when you go to track. If you only got one lung he would still be alive. I won't bash on you, I too have made mistakes while hunting. I always said the hardest critic I have is myself when I make a mistake. don't get discouraged. I would say 50/50 you find him. Your odds go up if you got decent penatration.

6. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you plan to wait until 1, did you see POI and how far the arrow penetrated?

7. Taylor.S

Taylor.S Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck finding him, Keep us posted

8. B-rad

B-rad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All the emotions we go threw as a bow hunter. I have been where you are right now the best thing for you to do is not push the deer. Try to get out undetected hopefully you got into the Vital area. Hopefully you have a good cut on contact broad head that is doing its job. Keep us posted. By the way I found the deer I shot facing me only went 150yds but I will never take that shot again.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    One more question:

-Do you have someone that can go out tracking with you? With a hit like this be nice to have one tracking the blood and the other keeping keen eye ahead to hopefully see him before he tries to move if still alive.

10. Mo Bow Hunter

Mo Bow Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well said Ty!!

Shane I would venture to say most bow hunters I have been in your same boat early on in their hunting carrier wether they admit it or not. Way to own it, learn from it and follow the advice above. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to ask the same questions Ty did. Those answers would be helpful in giving an opinion on how lethal your shot was or wasn't.

I heard a statement on a podcast recently that I really liked: "Success doesn't make a good bowhunter, mistakes make a good bowhunter." We become better by learning from our mistakes and not repeating them. You are very young, but even older veteran bowhunters sometimes get buck fever and do stupid things when antlers are in front of them. But as said, learn from this, make a better decision next time, and become a better bowhunter.

Having said that, good luck, I really hope you find the buck!

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you find him, would like to see a hero shot when I get back in this evening...there's always a chance. You hit a soft body with a respectable force driving a shaft with razors on it after all.

The one's of these threads that always get me are the guys that list these sorts of details and then say, "What did I do wrong?". We all make mistakes, most respectable thing to do now is own it... like you did, learn from it...like you have and do better the next time around...like you will.

13. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where in northern IL you live? If you need a hand let me know.

14. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Remember the world record was shot in the throat area. Not the best choice for a clean kill but make sure you go out and look closely for him. There probably wont be a bunch of blood, but try to determine a general plan of direction you think he will travel. Make sure you give him plenty of time to bed down. Good luck.

15. Stick&String96

Stick&String96 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope ya find him

16. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I talked to a guy who did the same shot recently who also let his emotions get ahold of him. It does happen and you are beating yourself up for it which is good. With that said he was shooting a 70 lb bow with fixed blades. His penetration might be much better than yours since your shooting less pounds. However the good news for him is that he did recovery his buck. His arrow was able to penetrate and get one lung. Bad news is that his buck went over a 1/4 mile which was an exhausting and stressful track job. So it is possible to find him, however I don't want your expectations to be unrealistic. It might not end up well. Learn from it and I hope you find him! Keep us posted!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  17. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys. Like said above if nothing else, I learned a huge lesson. Though it is common sense not to take that shot, I will have a better understanding of what can happen. I do not use lighted nocks, so I didn't see exactly where I hit him. I did not see the arrow sticking out of him, so we'll see. I don't think his tail was up, but I am not sure. I don't think I hit the sternum, because he did stop, look around, and trot off. I was about 15 feet up, and it was 15-20 yards. It all happened so fast, and my heart was pumping. 2 more hours, and I'll be looking

18. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That shot isn't a bad shot if you know what you are shooting at. It may not be the best shot and that can cause people to label it as unethical but I disagree. Don't beat yourself up over it. Big bucks can go a lonnnnggg ways when they are only shot in one lung. Keep your head up and go get that guy. Best of luck to you. If nothing else its a lesson learned. It happens to all hunters.

19. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh boy...mistakes happen...just make this one count & always remember this feeling the next time you draw down on one...however what is done is done...worse things happen in nature all the time...Since you didn't see impact or remember whether the arrow was still in him or how deep of penetration, I wouldn't hesitate to get down and go look at where you hit him and do the initial 45 yard check for blood...that would tell me a lot about how long I needed to wait before continuing the trail. Just be careful that first little bit just in case he is only like 75 yards away and you don't realize it. Definitely go get someone with more experience than you to come out and help you track if possible. Good luck and let us know what you find.

20. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buck fever its a nasty thing!!! I think everyone has been in ur shoes one time or another. I have been hunting deer for 20 plus years and I still have to talk myself through a shot on a big one and sometimes I still do something not real smart. The excitement is what keeps me coming back to the woods for more.Dont lose hope and hang in there hes probally laying dead you just need to find him.