Chestnut Seeds Southern WI

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Butzler, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Butzler

Butzler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone ever grow chestnut trees from seed? If so any recommendations, where you purchased the seeds from, what variety, and any other advice.

Thanks!

2. Butzler

Butzler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone?

3. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I planted chestnuts last spring, from these guys. http://www.empirechestnut.com/catalog.htm#seed I had good germination , I planted them the end of February and my issue is they outgrew my containers. They grew much faster then I expected and I had about 2ft of growth my mid March under grow lights. I currently have them planted in my garden, I'm in Shawano Co WI so on the far north edge of where they can live. I I'm waiting for spring to see if they can live a winter before transplanting, I'm 50/50 on if they're going to live. My gut says I'm too far north.

4. Butzler

Butzler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any tricks to get them to grow? or was it as simple as a pot of soil and watering? These will be planted in Grant County.

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They have to go through a freeze, so I got my seed in Dec and put them on the bottom of the fridgd. At the end of Feb done were beginning to germinate, I should have left them another month just back use they grew so quickley. After pulling them out I planted and probably had about an 80% germination rate. Only thing is don't over water because they don't like wet feet. QDMA forum have a lot more info from much more experienced people than myself, but they seem like a tough tree so far that don't need a ton of care. Just hope they make the winter up here. Good luck!