Over hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt suburban land. I have 2 stands about 250 yards from each other. One in a foodplot and one in a bottle neck. My story is pretty simple. I love to hunt. That being said, I hunt up to 5-6 days a week in the same two stands. I started out playing the wind, but someone told me since it's the rut don't play the wind, because it's going to be wrong pretty much all week. I have gotten blown at and winded a number of times in these two stands. I'm really burning them out. I'm over hunting, and I'm not hunting smart. I got blown at 2 times by two different deer with in 20 minutes of each other this morning. Only okay thing, was that it was dark. Simply put, I'm pressuring these deer to no end, and I have almost an addiction to sit in a tree. I'm getting frustrated, because of the time I put in, only to degrade my spot every hunt. The wind is wrong for both my stands all week except for Friday evening, and Saturday morning. Would it be wise to give both these stands a healthy break, and miss some of the best hunting days of the year? Or hunt it out, and give it a break once the rut is over. These deer are no longer getting wise on me, they ARE wise on me. Did I ruin my season? What can I do?

2. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Slow down play the wind

3. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Secure more hunting acreage. Hunt smarter and play the wind.

4. Shane0709

Dislikes Received:
    Securing more hunting acreage isn't an option for everyone, nor is it a solution to the problem. We have a lease about 2 1/2 hours from the house, but that's not the issue.

5. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well... you're correct of course. And, you seem to know and understand the "issues." That leaves the "why?" If you know you're ruining the place - stop. Or don't stop and continue on. Suit yourself, but to the point of your question, I wouldn't do as you currently are and I won't ever hunt on the wrong wind. Good luck and safe hunting!

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't say it any more plainly or clearly than that. With deer and stand you always have punchers chance.

7. nontypical223

nontypical223 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take a climber and play the wind. Don't matter how small the property is you can always play the wind. May not be in a spot where your gonna see a lot of deer, but it will help with the addiction.

8. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Instead of hunting so much put in the time to secure more property to hunt. In the suburbs sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to deer movement, they can come from anywhere, so trying to hunt the wind in certain locations can be a waste of time.

9. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel for you. That is a rock and a hard place. How big is the property?

10. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly what I do. Even if I'm 5 trees away and 5 feet higher from where I sat last.(assuming the same wind)

11. Shane0709

Dislikes Received:
    We own 11 acres, and 81 acres in a different spot. I hunt the 11 99% of the time, and less than 2 of it is huntable including the foodplot

12. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy whatever you decide. Playing the wind will give you better odds though.

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now I hope you see the answer to your question why everybody just doesn't use ladder stands. If you had a climber or nice mobile hang on set up you could hunt the wind and move around a little.

14. 400excracer

400excracer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know that everyone will tell me I am wrong, but I wouldn't worry about playing the wind. I would worry more about scent control. I don't recall ever having a deer wind me (that I know of of course). If your scent control is good you should be fine. Now over hunting could be a possibility. I did the same thing last and year and didn't have any success. This year I went out 3 times and got 2 deer. Maybe it was luck? Who knows?

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's right, I'm maybe the worlds most dedicated ladder stand hunter and even I use a climber from time to time. (though it's usually because I ran out of ladders, lol)