Moultrie M-100 failure

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Chaz Lyle, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Chaz Lyle

Chaz Lyle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I bought two Moultrie M-100's in the summer of 2013 and in the last month both of them have taken a crap on me. All of the information that I found posted on the "hard reset" was from 2012 and earlier. Does anyone have any experience with fixing these? Of course, like 90% of consumers, I don't still have my receipt as a proof of purchase.

I've put new batteries in both cameras but cannot get them to turn on. Any help is appreciated!

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Moultrie M-80 and M-100 and both took a crap after two and three years. I researched on how to fix them and nothing ever worked, I sent them into Moultrie to have them fixed and they just sent me some refurb models instead. not too happy

If you call or email Moultrie they should be able to help you out with refurbs or discounted cameras,but don't expect to get your exact cameras to come back if you send them in. good luck

3. GhostRack

GhostRack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same problems here with M 80 n M 100…they work when they want too..get sd card error for no reason..n card lock lately and only turn on when they feel like it ..i'll never buy another moultire...

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had great luck with Moultrie cams, the M880's...they've been super reliable for me. Never had the cheaper models but cheap isn't an excuse for being junk either.

5. Chaz Lyle

Chaz Lyle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've got 7 cameras total and only 2 work. I know they're expensive, but I'll NEVER buy a camera again that is not a Reconyx. Best camera I've ever owned. "See what you've been missing" is absolutely the truth. I had a mineral site this summer that was getting hit hard but I wasn't getting many pictures. I thought it was odd so I put my Reconyx and one of the M-100's on the same tree. Same settings, delays, phot bursts, etc. I snuck back in 6 days later. The reconyx had 875 pictures and the Moultrue had 250. Made me sick to think of all the deer I've missed over the years running cameras that wouldn't trigger.

6. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Email this guy : [email protected]

He bought a older m100 off me and fixed up a m80 for a friend. He sells moultries he fixed up. He said he fixed about 1000 moultries and primos. Not sure where he gets the cams from but is a great guy.

Worth a shot to anyone out there looking to get something fixed instead of junking it or spending $ on a new cam.

7. Rutter

Rutter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just had issues with 3 of my m100 from 3 years ago as well. All 3 would not transfer pics to SD cards. I called Moultrie, they said to buy new different model SD card--just a line of BS. I did it anyway, and same problem. Called again, and again they offer 40% off of new cameras. Nice, but still no help. So I talked to my buddy who is technical savvy, and he helped with trying the download firmware on there website. Still no luck. Then he tried putting the camera back into DEFAULT setting. The original setting when purchased and tried the download again. And I think it worked?? SD cards seem to getting the pics now. I just put the cams back out last week and am pulling the cards Friday, so I will post back whether it worked or not. I did go buy some new cams also, and NO they were not Moultrie! Have to say this has pissed me off

8. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guess " that's how you know "

9. Chaz Lyle

Chaz Lyle Newb

Dislikes Received:

Its funny you mention that. I was mad enough about the cameras completely not turning on that I forgot that last Summer I had issues with both cameras triggering but not writing the pictures to the SD cards. I tried multiple cards, formatted them, etc... I just got fed up and took the cams down. When I put them up 5 months later they worked again for just a bit

10. Rutter

Rutter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Update on the cams--pulled all 3 sd cards and yup the update worked. At least for now there all working and seem to be back to normal. So set your cams back to the default setting and try downloading that firmware update again. And I would suggest checking your battery terminals and make sure no corrosion and your using higher quality batteries. No cheapos. Good luck with em