What type of weather will keep you out of the woods?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NateJR_PABOWHUNTING, Oct 28, 2015.

1. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bring this question up because here in PA it's rainy and very windy with 30+ MPH winds. It's not so muhtch the rain that bothers me, but there's something about sitting in a treestand when it's windy that makes me very nervous. So I decided to not go out today and wait for the weather to calm down, which it looks like I'll be waiting until Friday before the wind finally calms down.

So this brings up the question, what weather do you avoid hunting in? I'm not strictly a fair weather hunter, I've stuck it out during many rainy and frigidity cold days, but wind is the main thing I pay attention to when it determines whether I'm willing to fight the elements or not.

2. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out this afternoon on the tail end of the hurricane. 60*, 25mph winds, 40% chance of thunderstorms.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wind and heavy rain mostly because I do not believe the deer like to move in those conditions because they mask smells and sounds deer rely on for safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heavy rain #1
    If its heavy fog and there is a good football game on or good card game I'll stay at the cabin.

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hurricane. Tornado.

People have seen deer on windy days and rainy days. The typical weather of rain, snow, or wind will never keep me from going.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Considering several trees blew down in the woods beside my house in this wind, no way will be in a treestand today unless it calms down later.

7. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, deer are going to move on a day like today.. It's not a down pour by any means, it's just very gusty out. I've seen 3 buck already cross a field right next to my house, so I know they're on the move today. I just can't get myself up in a tree when it's rocking back and forth, and the eerie feeling I get when I see the tops of trees swaying back and forth and can hear and see tree limbs falling all over the place. I also worry about the wind affecting the flight of my arrow. I'm still debating on going out this afternoon, but the wind will have to calm down a bit, I just think 30-40 MPH winds is that breaking point for me when I just don't feel comfortable in the woods.

8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    High winds, heavy rain and freezing rain.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rained over an inch last night and light rain all day with falling temps. One would think the deer would be bedded tight, has 6 deer in the yard under the apple tree cleaning up when I went out the door for work this morning. I will stay in the stand if it starts to rain but I am not going out in the rain if I can help it.

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I admit it....I'm a fair weather hunter...and I'm not ashamed of it.
    Last evening it was raining periodically and I went and sat with my bow under a pick nick canopy about 60' from one of my trail cameras. Deer pass through there all the time but not last night. If I want to hunt in crappy weather, I have that place, two enclosed elevated stands I've built and some nice redneck blinds on stands and ladders.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  11. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I have a couple huts I can hunt out of, problem with it being, they're more designed for rifle hunting and I'm not even sure I could shoot out of them with my bow. The guy who owns the land I'm hunting on has 2 of them, they're actually in good spots, but looking at them from the outside they don't look archery friendly, of those deals where a crossbow would come in handy.

12. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heavy rain about the only thing that is going to keep me out of the stand at any point in time.

Will go out of my way to hunt when it is snowing just because I think it is beautiful. I really don't even care if I see any deer, just love sitting in a stand and watching it snow.

I love the wind - don't bother me one bit. I got a harness on and I think the wind covers up some mistakes that I probably make and don't even realize. It makes for a muted entry to the stand and allows me to move around more in the stand (for us ADD types). Don't think it really helps with scent control as I think the wind can swirl and shift directions a great deal on a windy day. But I think deer are up - maybe not moving much and they are cautious but I think they get up!

13. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    About the only thing that will stop me from hunting is high winds. Never seen much deer activity in high winds. Everything else is pretty much fair game.

14. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a care giver for my wife so I dont get out but a hand full of times a season. But when I can go I go no matter the weather. If I can go I dont mess the opportunity.

15. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    An erupting volcano

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

16. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wind and Rain.

I don't like feeling I'm on an amusement park ride when sitting in my treestand. Also do not hunt in rain because it washes away blood to quickly for a tracking job. I wont risk a deer being lost/unrecovered all because I wanted to hunt.

So, like Covey, I'm a fair weather hunter.

17. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like others heavy downpour and extreme wind is what keeps me out of the stand. I'm headin out this evening looks like we might have a break in the rain and I think deer will be up and around. Might hunt the ground blind tonight with the wind, either way I'll be out hunting.

18. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Possibly. Although the lava flowing through the woods may push them your way.

Tornado or severe thunderstorm I will bag it.

High winds, snow, sleet, rain or any other weather condition I am hunting. Know your widow makers, have some go to stands for such conditions or hunt from the ground. I also like to poke around in the standing corn and still hunt on rainy windy days.

19. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rain and wind is for the birds. I wont be in a tree

20. bluerivertrapper

bluerivertrapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Heavy rain will keep me out of the woods bowhunting more than anything else