How to hunt

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by FerusBear1315, Oct 24, 2015.

1. FerusBear1315

FerusBear1315 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new in the archery world. I know a lot of guys who stalk hunt with bows, which makes sense. But, I also know some people who hunt from a climber. I'm looking to see if it's one of those things you just kind of have to figure out for yourself, or if there's actually a better way between the two.

2. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say it depends on what your hunting and where... stalking takes more skill, as ya have to get close with a bow, and your at the site level of the game... stand hunting more luck, in that the game has to get within range by it's own choice...

3. Stick&String96

Stick&String96 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on everything, lol. In order to spot and stalk you need a certain environment with consistent wind direction, and terrain that allows you to follow an animal while remaining hidden (such as mountains or sage brush). For the majority of the United States, hunting from a treestand is by far the more popular.

4. Bobby_OA

Bobby_OA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For a new hunter I would focus on stand hunting first. Stalking requires a lot of skill and knowledge of how deer behave which you can gain from sitting in a stand and watching deer. Welcome to the addiction that is bow hunting!

5. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I recommend stand hunting, since simply watching and observing will tell you where you need to be. You don't have to get it right the first time, but if you stay patient and observe what is going on around you, then you can make an adjustment, and get yourself possibly set up for a shot. Remember, it's hunting and not shooting, so you may have to put some time in, before an opportunity happens. Good luck, and keep asking questions on here. There's plenty of good people to help you out!